[cryptome] Re: TrueCrypt compromised

  • From: Neal Lamb <nl1816a@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 10:39:26 -0700 (PDT)

http://ecowatch.com/2014/06/06/china-coal-cap-strand-assets/

On Monday, June 9, 2014 11:55 AM, Aftermath <aftermath.thegreat@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Some one just pointed this out too me:

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/

from the website:

Project Description
VeraCrypt is a free disk encryption software brought to you by IDRIX
(http://www.idrix.fr) and that is based on TrueCrypt, freely available at
http://www.truecrypt.org/.
It adds enhanced security to the algorithms used for system and partitions
encryption making it immune to new developments in brute-force attacks.

For example, when the system partition is encrypted, TrueCrypt uses
PBKDF2-RIPEMD160 with 1000 iterations whereas in VeraCrypt we use 327661. And
for standard containers and other partitions, TrueCrypt uses at most 2000
iterations but VeraCrypt uses 655331 for RIPEMD160 and 500000 iterations for
SHA-2 and Whirlpool.

This enhanced security adds some delay only to the opening of encrypted
partitions without any performance impact to the application use phase. This is
acceptable to the legitimate owner but it makes it much more harder for an
attacker to gain access to the encrypted data.

VeraCrypt storage format is INCOMPATIBLE with TrueCrypt storage format.
VeraCrypt storage format is INCOMPATIBLE with TrueCrypt storage format.

VeraCrypt storage format is INCOMPATIBLE with TrueCrypt storage format.

(repetition is mine to highlight the fact that you cannot open truecrypt
volumes with veracrypt)

-Afterm4th