[cryptome] Re: The downside of the Snowden case

  • From: John Young <jya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 12:24:19 -0400

Agree with that prospectus. There remains the enduring
problem of mediation of disclosures, in Snowden's case
almost a melodramatic blackout of what he is alleged to
have.

A couple of dozen releases, some redacted and snippets
of what is said to be several thousand documents. Hyperbole
substitutes for full disclosure as if the mediators have capabilities
the dim-witted public lacks. This conceit is all too like what the
secretkeepers claim and reeks of exaggeration and bombast,
if not slavish imitation for similar self-serving of perquisites
and profits. Three days of Aspen Security Forum just ended,
paid for by the usual natsec outlets and contractors.

Threats of "aiding the enemy" has gained traction to squelch
national security journalism, or if not yet the few decent journos,
then their publishers who vet what is to be released despite
the byliners' public moans that they had much more than
got past the in-house managing editors, lawyers, advertizers,
sacred privileged sources.

One gauge of this sophisticted cover-up is the grandiloquent
hyperbolizing of documents which are not fully released for
unbiased analysis and assessment. No respect is due for
this racketeering which serves the purpose of apparently
informing the public but instead disinforms. Dramaturgy.

Hope that this will change is a customary feature, be patient,
be trusting, verily a banner for the current administation but
hardly new with it.

In short, national security journalism is entertainment on the
order of explosive film-making, probing documentarianism,
tell-all ex-spy and -SEAL books, daring insider whistleblowing
(as if that is not tradecraft), law-suit expose of least-classified
highly redacted material, and as ever, bountiful military and
spy agency recruitment and contracting.

"Aiding the Enemy" is in the works for all these virtual landscapes.
Several for WikiLeaks, Manning, ex-NSA gents, for Snowden
going against Alexander, scripted and guided by a coven of
valiant hyperbolists. I will consume them all to plagiarize the
treaclish.

At 08:50 AM 7/21/2013, you wrote:
"DIY national security is no joke. Now impossible due to
secrecy bloat and exclusion of the public from participation
in meaningful ways."

If Manning and Snowden were given the credit and respect they deserve, the public would be able to participate in more meaningful ways. Nothing helps National Security more than an involved and educated public that knows what is actually going on in the rest of the world, instead of the current public fed on the pablum of spin and fear generated by the Washington and Media elites.

I'm not so worried about our country 'transforming into a Soviet Style Russia...' We have the skills, resources, and capacity to make that transformation something much better or much worse than the Putin's of the world can come up with. I just hope it is for the better.

Gary Wallin

On 7/20/2013 6:10 AM, Jeremy Compton wrote:
I dont think this is going to happen realistically. Your country is transforming into a Soviet style Russia. ....