[cryptome] The NSA the only part of government that listens :)

  • From: Jeremy Compton <j.compton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 16:34:43 +1300

I was sent this and l thought it was hilarious. I think we all need a bit a of
a laugh from time to time. Its good for the soul.

NSA
 Makes all Email Use Privilege Waiving?

Puzzle me this: If a lawyer conversed with a client in front of a law
enforcement representative, would the conversation
 be privileged?

Answer: No.

Conversations held in the presence of any third party, let alone one
representing the government, would constitute a waiver of privilege.

Previously on 3Geeks (and perhaps too many times) we have
tackled the subject of the use of free email services and how that waives
privilege. But now the NSA has upped the ante on the topic, basically spreading
it to all email.

Unless you live under a rock with no wifi, you will be aware that the NSA is
tracking global email communications and storing them in
Utah (a nice place to visit). So, as a lawyer should you now expect that a
government agency is obtaining copies of all of your confidential
 client communications? If so, you might want to ....

Oh never mind. If we actually took this rule seriously, all lawyers would be
encrypting their email communications. And we know they are not and no one is
asking them to do so.

I withdraw the statement.

You are subscribed to email updates from
3 Geeks and a Law Blog

To stop receiving these emails, you may
unsubscribe now.

Email delivery powered by Google