[cryptome] Re: The NSA snooping.

  • From: "System Rat" <systemrat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 21:18:27 +1000

Perhaps I am missing something fundamental here but you guys are getting
upset that the NSA is doing its job in maintaining an ability to intercept
communications be that by whatever means Morse to smoke signals or sharks
with lasers (Dr. Evil Austin Powers). I am not a terrorist nor would I
disclose secrets that might harm the state or its allies if I knew any that
is. (By the state I mean people like you and me that live there NOT the
current political party.) Any NSA or local equivalent analyst would most
lightly go off on stress leave if forced to monitor my online activity due
to boredom. If I live in some repressive regime for example the former east
Germany then I might fear a knock on the door. BUT on the other hand the NSA
or its local equivalent via technical means have the ability to target and
monitor the bad guys by definition for example Al Qaeda is that a bad thing
? Do you have some proof for example Al Qaeda is not using a local ISP near
you ? The counter argument to objecting to them monitoring is events like
9/11 represent a failure in identifying the threat. Perhaps  Al Qaeda's
tradecraft was not to disclose any useful information in communications that
might be intercepted. I hope any and every means is being employed to help
prevent a repeat of that atrocity now. I would not trust the current
government of my country to run the chook raffle and there are many corrupt
elements in the current government without doubt but I seriously doubt the
men and women in the security services here or at NSA are anything but
seeking to do the best for their respective countries. Not sure if this is
real but in the movies I've seem a poster " I god we trust everyone else we
monitor"