[cryptome] Re: TOR Article

  • From: Jason Iannone <jason.iannone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 09:21:50 -0700

The author of the Pando article spends a great deal of time discussing
the motivation for developing tor and tying the developers to defense.
While those ties are interesting and notable, saddling the first
thirty paragraphs with this information leaves a bad taste in my
mouth.  The discussion of exit node management and the protocol's
focus on performance are key.  NSA's efforts to build in weakness are
well known and it's not much of a stretch to associate built-in
weakness to the decision to favor high performance nodes[1].

The fact that tor has many use cases doesn't mean its broken.  In
fact, the government use case may be one of its more valuable selling
points.  If it's good enough for CIA, it's good enough for me.  The
foundation is, so far as we know, solid[2].

[1]
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/crypto-review/documents/dualec_in_X982_and_sp800-90.pdf

[2]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23931727/Dining%20Cryptographers%20-%20Chaum.pdf