[cryptome] Re: Silent Talker

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:12:47 +0000

see url; http://forensic-centre.com/2013/12/18/silent-talker-featured-in-itv-documentary-the-lying-game-crimes-that-fooled-britain/

Hi Shaun & Colleagues,
My apologies... I didn't realise that the software had been around since 2000... I watched a television programme last night about the recent issue of the software which I found very interesting...and intriguing...hence the posting.

Well worth a watch as they have been using it for analyzing proven liars in child abuse and murder cases. They are still experimenting with it and they say it is up to 80% accurate. However, whether that be advertisers blurb or optimistic academic professors at Manchester University seeking funding is another matter. Of course no software is foolproof, just like any human beings. And, at the moment, evidence obtained via its use is not admissible in a court of law in the UK.

Some police interviewers are highly trained in behavioural psychology and observe not only what is being said by interviewees, but their body language as well, which in the case of lying, often contradicts what is being said. Also, a lot of interviews are now video-taped and are being made available for analysis by psychologists who are now experts in the practice of the art of deception...:-) .

Last night's viewing showed how careful examination of the body language of interviewees and with analysis of those trained psychologists, could show up those contradictions, particularly when the tapes were replayed over and slowed down and body and facial movements were examined in slow motion and more detail. The addition of the software programme enhanced the analysis... Still, even if it is not quite so accurate as they make out, one can see the direction in which the research is going...

On 13/02/15 12:47, Shaun O'Connor wrote:
Based on the article there is room for the use case to be modified therefore the degree of accuracy can be varied, hence the system is only as reliable as the supplier wants it to be. so it is a long way from being foolproof.
On 13/02/2015 00:07, doug wrote:
see url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Talker_Lie_Detector

Will it replace the polygraph...I wonder...No more Clappers and Edward Snowdens...:-) . That will be the day...The wonders of new technology...

.

--
*_PRIVACY IS A BASIC RIGHT - NOT A CONCESSION _* https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/11/when-time-comes-we-need-be-ready-fight-tpps-secret-anti-user-agenda