[cryptome] Re: Security and the Rise of Snakeoil

  • From: Neal Lamb <nl1816a@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 18:01:13 -0700

Whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkaKwXddT_I

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:24 PM, Shaun O'Connor <capricorn8159@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Interesting article and assuming it is factually accurate is very unsettling
indeed.

On 16/07/2014 23:42, Neal Lamb wrote:

http://truth-out.org/news/item/24245-us-nearly-used-nukes-during-vietnam-war?tsk=adminpreview

>On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:03 PM, Ryan Carboni <ryacko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>The more you know your device, the more you are in control over it. You
>>should notice when it misbehaves or acts without your intent. As a corollary,
>>when you know nothing about your device, you're naked and exposed. Therefore,
>>mitigation measures need to form a conscious structure, and have to be
>>continuously re-evaluated.

There's a trick to learning undocumented features. Simply use it in unexpected
ways. No security service can replicate even undocumented functions, generally
because they focus on the important parts. Act erratically and the potemkin
village falls to pieces.

>On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 1:41 PM, In Harms Way <11414150173@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>Security and the Rise of Snakeoil
>>Published: 04 June 2014
>>The original of this essay was written
                                by stf in Hungarian. I decided to go ahead and
translate it into English because I liked it.

>>There are more and more people who are
                                starting to realise what sort of trap
                                they ended up in by using the internet.
                                While they desperately want to do
                                something about it, they might not have
                                the knowledge or resources to actually
                                make the first step, like leaving
                                Facebook or Gmail behind. Yet, people
                                desperately want to do something, even
                                if that means the online equivalent of
                                not carrying mineral water onto
                                airplanes. Every week we see a new
                                NSA-proof, military grade encrypted,
                                web-based chat application, or people
                                with nice CVs who finally figured out
                                how to do secure email in the browser.
                                Self-acclaimed experts teach their peers
                                at cryptoparties how to defend
                                themselves against adversaries from the
                                last decade. This article is for the
                                latter. This game might get dangerous,
                                and should be handled with care.

>>      1. security is a conscious, multi-layered, economic process
>>      2. certain adversaries are more motivated, and control more resources
>> than others
>>      3. defenders can only lose. they have to be prepared, and minimise the
>> value and surface of an attack
>>      4. know your adversaries, the resources at their disposal, and act
>> accordingly
>>      5. there are environmental/side-channel/indirect attacks
>>      6. there are non-technical aspects
>>      7. many mitigation techniques are overly expensive and inconvenient
>>The more you know your device, the more
                                you are in control over it. You should
                                notice when it misbehaves or acts
                                without your intent. As a corollary,
                                when you know nothing about your device,
                                you're naked and exposed. Therefore,
                                mitigation measures need to form a
                                conscious structure, and have to be
                                continuously re-evaluated.

>>Security is an economic process, and
                                thus the mass majority of the
                                non-targeted attacks can be mitigated
                                when the you raise your cost of defence
                                marginally above the average of the
                                potential victims. In non-targetted
                                attacks, the attacker still plays by the
                                rules of economics: minimise costs, and
                                maximise profit. As of 2014, the most
                                economically viable targets are Windows
                                and Adobe users, while estimates suggest
                                that OS X users will make a juicy cut
                                once OS X market share hits ~20%
                                [citation needed]. As a consequence,
                                diversity is an effective mitigation, as
                                a custom -- competent and expensive --
                                system will require a custom -- and
                                expensive -- attack. Lastly, it makes
                                little sense to overspend on security. A
                                classic example is spending $150 on a
                                lock for a $50 bike.

>>A good way to raise the cost of an
                                attack is defence-in-depth: when plan A
                                falls, plan B will still cause a
                                headache for the attacker (and so it
                                goes). Interestingly,
                                security-by-obscurity in this case can
                                significantly raise the costs, but only
                                when supported by conscious, in-depth
                                countermeasures.

>>Since this is an economic system, the
                                defender can only fail when met with a
                                resourceful enough adversary. In other
                                words, all defence will fail in face of
                                a motivated and rich attacker.

>>While an attacker can measure his
                                effectiveness easily, a defender can
                                only not fail at best. Even without an
                                obvious failure, she can't be certain
                                that there hadn't been a breach that
                                went unnoticed. Sony is a good example
                                of how amateur defenders can only fail
                                against professionals. Minimising the
                                amount of data we store for longer
                                periods (e.g. half a year or more) will
                                reduce the value of an attack, while,
                                say, consciously controlling an online
                                presence will reduce the attack surface
                                on our persona.

>>These are general best practices, and we
                                need to know our adversary: who they
                                are, what they are capable of, what sort
                                of resources they have at disposal. A
                                simplified model of adversaries might be
                                the following: citizen, criminal,
                                corporation, country.

>>A citizen is of course any average user.
                                A criminal would be any organised and
                                less organised actor. A corporation can
                                be Google or Facebook, but it could be
                                just the company you work for if your
                                internet traffic is monitored, so this
                                is probably the broadest category of
                                all. Last, but not least, we have
                                countries, or rather, nation-states, in
                                which case the adversary is probably a
                                foreign intelligence agency, although
                                certain politicians in opposition,
                                political activists, journalists, or
                                whistleblowers might warrant the
                                attention of a domestic adversary.

>>We also have to mention environmental or
                                indirect attacks. An adversary might not
                                solely attack the target, but can use
                                (or rather, abuse) the surrounding
                                environment, too. The defender has to
                                think about her communication partners,
                                if any of them may have an adversary
                                model that is different from, or higher
                                level than hers. The social network of a
                                target (Facebook image tagging)
                                contributes to the attack surface as
                                well as any other environmental factor,
                                since a well-motivated attacker will try
                                to find and exploit the weakest link to
                                the target. When that cheapest path is
                                through a less-prepared peer, that just
                                makes things a whole lot quicker and an
                                economic adversary more effective.

>>(Un)fortunately the attacks and
                                mitigation techniques can be
                                non-technical, and may have other
                                aspects, such as economical,
                                educational, social, or judicial. Many
                                in position to change things are
                                motivated not to. For example, the net
                                neutrality and data protection acts are
                                likely to become sabotaged in the
                                European Council. It seems like there
                                won't be any outcome from the
                                surveillance scandal. The act about data
                                retention was invalidated by the
                                European High Court, but European
                                member-states are yet to act. However,
                                there are other judicial aspects --
                                citizens have to act within the
                                boundaries of the law, while this does
                                not apply to every actor. Some of these
                                actors will try and undermine new
                                legislation, or broaden their authority
                                through existing legal structures. A few
                                ideas that could improve the current
                                situation:

>>      1. general immunity for hackers who publicly expose security holes
>>      2. motivating the attacks of own infrastructures rather than pursuing it
>>      3. education about security, attacks, and vulnerabilities
>>      4. non-free software vendors' liability for handling vulnerabilities
>> should be enforced
>>      5. deterrent financial liability for misuse of personal information
>>      6. public disclosure of, and diligent post-mortem analysis for every
>> incident
>>      7. new legislation for data protection, net neutrality. end data
>> exchange and data collection treaties and legislation
>>      8. free up the frequency bands that become unused after the digital
>> dividend for unlicensed use
>>Defence is difficult: many mitigation
                                techniques are ceremonial and
                                complicated even for the trained
                                defender, and so she'll perform it
                                rarely, or eventually stop the practice
                                altogether. In many respects, these
                                ceremonies are like brushing teeth:
                                we're not doing it because we enjoy it
                                so much, but rather because of the
                                belief in a future reward such as not
                                having to go to the dentist's, or
                                improving our chances for reproduction.
                                A principled approach and attention to
                                detail are essential, just like with any
                                implementation, see "goto fail", or
                                "heartbleed". Correct code is usually
                                not trivial, and the correct use of
                                tools is often hard due to external
                                constraints.

>>Naturally, the it would be best if this
                                whole process could be simplified, but
                                it is also the goal of the adversary to
                                make it as hard as possible.

>>A'tuin is the turtle in Terry
                                Pratchett's Discworld, on whose back 4
                                elephants hold the discworld on their
                                backs. And what is below A'tuin, you
                                ask? It's turtles all the way down.
                                A'tuin is the perfect symbol for the
                                endless layers of attack surfaces, that
                                you discover if just start scratching:
                                A'tuin -> organisational ->
                                physical -> psychological ->
                                browser -> OS -> HW -> network
                                -> network OS -> network HW ->
                                TEMPEST emissions -> other
                                side-channels -> A'tuin.

>>We also need to stop and talk about
                                browsers for a minute, because people
                                tend to create and spread all sorts of
                                snakeoil based on the them. The reasons
                                for using the browser as a distribution
                                medium is none other than to externalise
                                the costs of having to support
                                installation on multiple systems, while
                                introducing a huge attack surface. The
                                age when a browser's primary goal was
                                actually browsing websites are long
                                gone. Browsers of today are for pushing
                                ads into people's faces, and make them
                                pay for various services. A good example
                                for this is Mozilla, who wanted to push
                                ads into the start screen of Firefox,
                                and all they managed to get done since
                                the Snowden revelations is making tabs
                                shinier and putting DRM into the
                                browser. There are 6 easy rules to
                                identify 99% of snakeoil:

>>      1. not free software
>>      2. runs in a browser
>>      3. runs on a smartphone
>>      4. the user doesn't generate, or exclusively own the private encryption
>> keys
>>      5. there is no threat model
>>      6. uses terminology like "cyber", "military-grade", or other marketing
>> mantra
>>As a conclusion, some food for thought,
                                in the form of 3 questions:

>>      1. how often do you update your systems?
>>      2. how strong are your email passwords? do you reuse them for other
>> pages, too?
>>      3. how many of your peers use GMail, Facebook, Skype, and do you keep
>> in touch with them through these?
>>To try estimating the footprint you
                                leave online, check out and think about
                                your results on MyShadow. And then welcome to
the ride on A'tuin. ;)

You may tell "but you're so wrong" by sending an email to me at rhapsodhy.hu
>>This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0
>>Unported License
>>--
We have nothing to hide, but something to protect:
LIBERTY, PRIVACY & FREEDOM
- and the people, whose human rights these are.

--
PRIVACY IS A BASIC RIGHT - NOT A CONCESSION