[cryptome] Re: Security and the Rise of Snakeoil

  • From: Ryan Carboni <ryacko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 14:01:37 -0700

>The more you know your device, the more you are in control over it. You
should notice when it misbehaves or acts without your intent. As a
corollary, when you know nothing about your device, you're naked and
exposed. Therefore, mitigation measures need to form a conscious structure,
and have to be continuously re-evaluated.
There's a trick to learning undocumented features. Simply use it in
unexpected ways. No security service can replicate even undocumented
functions, generally because they focus on the important parts. Act
erratically and the potemkin village falls to pieces.