[cryptome] Re: Secure Storage and Erasure Protocol: Research Paper

  • From: douglas rankine <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 15:01:48 +0000

see url: https://www.nsa.gov/ia/_files/Government/MDG/NSA_CSS_Storage_Device_Declassification_Manual.pdf
Tx for the url, John. I had a look...NSA recommends that all storage media as well as being degaussed, otherwise sanitised, should be physically destroyed on disposal. SSE as well as other storage media should be burned to ash.
No recycling of NSA hardware storage systems then, all have to be physically destroyed...must be a reason.

As an aside: The NSA degaussing procedure reminded me of my younger days as a tv repairman, in the days when colour televisions were made out of glass and metal and wieghed a ton. We used to carry around a degaussing coil, so that we could demagnetise colour televisions. In the good old days, colour televisions had a large metal plate, full of precisely engineered tiny holes, behind the glass flourescent screen of the colour tube. (not like todays bit of plastic monitors) The metal screen tended to get magnetised over a period of time in two ways, one because it was just sitting there in the same place in the house all the time and the Earth's magnetic field used to magnetise it. The other way, was when the housewife...or perhaps house husband (a very rare person indeed in those days) used the vacuum cleaner and switched it off too close to the television set, so causing the magnetic emanations to corrupt the metal screen. Although every screen had its own degaussing coil surrounding it which switched on for a short while, whilst the television was warming up, it sometimes wasn't strong enough to degauss the metal. The symptoms of this magnetisation were a change of colour on the flourescent screen and a series of rainbow like patterns, due to the photons being deflected in a slightly different direction as they went through the scan coils on to the holes in the metal screen, so hitting the wrong flourescent dots on the glass screen at the front. Customers used to phone us up in despair, pink faces being turned into multicoloured skins. They were most impressed when us guys came along and did our little bit o' magic, switching on our degaussing coil and waving it around the screen like a magic wand and saying "Abracadabra". Got many a tip out of that...:-) .

On 09/03/2016 22:02, John Young wrote:

NSA has several guides on degaussing and demagnetization of media

https://www.nsa.gov/applications/search/index.cfm?q=demagnetization&x=23&y=12

However, not likely to disclose the very best and latest about anything, but
will provide, like GCHQ and others, guidance on "information assurance"
through university partners, contractors, conferences, hearings, study
commissions, web sites, blogs, dual-hatted comsec experts, ex-officials
now in business, unauthorized disclosures such as Snowden's and Manning's,
and the industry of dumbfounding, tail-chasing, redacted, cherry-picked FOIAs.

The Internet will never be degaussed, much less highly magnetized and gaussed
IoT, Wayback, secure drops, searches, mail lists, the sun, sea and sand.