[cryptome] Secure Storage and Erasure Protocol: Research Paper

  • From: douglas rankine <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 20:03:17 +0000

see url: https://cryptome.org/2014/05/sse-protocol.pdf

Dear Michael Best & Colleagues,

Some time ago, I mentioned a paper that I had read which said that a hard disk could not have all the information erased and that with the proper forensic software, it would be possible to strip back each layer of magnetic information right to when the disk was first made. I think I may have found that research paper, and its contents might just be poignant to the current case USG v Apple...or it might not... :-). My understanding is that the storage hardware on the device will most likely be of the solid state type, which is not as secure in being wiped, as a moving hard disk. I have found that paper which I give the url above. The relevant paragraph is on Page 1 at A.

Now, please understand, I am not a techie...and I may be getting the conclusions about the ability to access original information on a hard disk all wrong.

Or, I might be right, but Apple has progressed in its software technical ability to destroy all the information on the phones storage system. But, if I am not, then the present case between USG v Apple to get Apple to produce a hack which will give access to the information on Farooks iphone may be irrelevant. This is because of my surmise that the Apple erasure software may not erase the information on the storage medium on the phone to a point where it cannot be regained, at all. If my surmise is correct, then there is no need for the FBI to bother about cracking the password within 10 times...They can make as many attempts as they like...eventually, they will crack the password and then get access to the information.

That is my theory...but as I say, I don't really know the ins and outs of the technical stuff, or how all this forensic software works, or even how sensitive it is to picking up on those magnetic layers of digitised information. And there is a lot of techie stuff and mathematics here which I don't understand, far less the molecular and nano stuff.

My surmise was triggered by the report of GCHQ actually making the Gaurdian physically destroy not only the hard disk, but the motherboard and other hardware components in the computer which contained the Snowden documents...to their satisfaction. I wondered why they did this, rather than use forensic erasure equipment to wipe it, or even just take away the relevant bits of the computers and securely dispose of them...Perhaps it was a publicity stunt after all...

Anyway, perhaps you guys on here can take a look at it and I'd be grateful if you would tell me where I have gone wrong...Maybe it is just some group out to make some money...

I hope this helps.