[cryptome] Re: Regin: Top-tier espionage tool enables stealthy surveillance

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:34:59 +0000

Hi Aftermath & Coderman,

I read the report by Symantec on the url you gave. It is a very impressive piece of software. Quite amazing really. If this is the sort of standard the state security sector has developed to, then one can see why there is such concern throughout the world wide security and intelligence industries, particularly in those private sectors and corporations which are NOT involved in state security. How does one conduct a business these days, if not only one's computers, but private and corporate networks are being taken over "p0wned I think the phrase is) by the NSA and other state intelligence and security organisations. How does a finance officer or a chief executive offier, or a board of directors keep business matters confidential these days. It is bad enough having word of mouth in the boardroom, having it swept for bugs, and stopping directors from having any electronic equipment in the boardroom in attempting to get some kind of confidentiality and security of company data, stratagems and so on. Finance officers are going to find it increasing difficult to present the financial states of their companies if there are no controls put in place. The USA may be the most clever and most sophisticated and spend the most resources in the field at the moment, but other nation states are learning, particularly since Snowden opened the back and front doors on the activities of the NSA. One can see it all back firing on the USA any time soon.

It is quite remarkable that Symantec has managed to find out so much about this piece of software. Just goes to show, that no matter how much the perpetrators try to keep it secret, it still comes out in the end.

One little query I have, which, hopefully you can help me with, is on the question of triggers. I understand the concept, but how does this help to conceal the malware within the software?
ATB

On 24/11/14 02:29, Aftermath wrote:

Regin: Top-tier espionage tool enables stealthy surveillance

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/regin-top-tier-espionage-tool-enables-stealthy-surveillance

[pdf]
http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/media/security_response/whitepapers/regin-analysis.pdf