[cryptome] Re: Paris Attacks Blamed on Strong Cryptography and Edward Snowden

  • From: Gary Wallin <garylwallin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 11:42:41 -0600

Encryption is only being used as a scapegoat for the problem of terrorists. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/weakening-encrypted-communications-would-do-little-to-stop-terrorist-attacks-experts-say/

I think the real problem is Western and Eastern powers using Vengeance as an easy to justify military option. Vengeance recruits more dangerous terrorists. Our sophisticated military technology has made vengeance all too easy. From a military standpoint we've come a long way from the days of Vietnam, when military "solutions" cost tens of thousands of American lives. But from a practical standpoint we're even more clueless about winning the hearts and minds of our enemies. If our first weapon of choice in ideological battles is only a military weapon, we are as damned as our enemies.

On 11/17/2015 10:06 AM, John Young wrote:

Wheedling about crypto and Snowden diverts from CIA Director's full speech and broader critique. CIA version omits Q&A.

http://csis.org/files/attachments/151116_GSF_OpeningSession.pdf <https://t.co/d6tAq2PiZi>

To be sure, commentators must promote their products to flatter their consumers as do spies, officials and
armaments (crypto) producers.

Officials buy the armaments to gain votes and post-service directorships, word artists blow wind to fan the flames.

"This Is War!" Perfect for all consumers except the slaughtered, a few of which get ritual mourning (most ignored, unreported, unsacrelized, unheroricized, unencrypted).

Hard to tell the difference between opportunistic warmongerers or anti-warmongerers, so ying and yang in complicity.

At 10:03 AM 11/17/2015, you wrote:

1. https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2015/11/paris_attacks_b.html
2. https://theintercept.com/2015/11/15/exploiting-emotions-about-paris-to-blame-snowden-distract-from-actual-culprits-who-empowered-isis/

<<As Paris reels from terrorist attacks that have claimed at least 128 lives, fierce blame for the carnage is being directed toward American whistleblower Edward Snowden and the spread of strong encryption catalyzed by his actions. Now the Paris attacks are being used an excuse to demand back doors>>

<<how can “officials� and their media stenographers persist in trying to convince people of such a blatant, easily disproven falsehood: namely, that Terrorists learned to hide their communications from Snowden’s revelations? They do it because of how many benefits there are from swindling people to believe this. To begin with, U.S officials are eager here to demonize far more than just Snowden
They want to demonize encryption generally as well as any companies that offer it. Indeed, as these media accounts show, they’ve been trying for two decades to equate the use of encryption — anything that keeps them out of people’s private onlinee communications — with aiding and abetting The Terrorists>>

<<Above all, there’s the desperation to prevent people from asking how and why ISIS was able to spring up seemingly out of nowhere and be so powerful, able to blow up a Russian passenger plane, a market in Beirut, and the streets of Paris in a single week. That’s the one question Western officials are most desperate not to be asked, so directing people’s ire to Edward Snowden and strong encryption is beneficial in the extreme>>

<<There’s the related question of how ISIS has become so well-armed and powerful. There are many causes, but a leading one is the role played by the U.S. and its “allies in the region� (i.e., Gulf tyrannies) in arming them>>