[cryptome] Re: Noise As a Unique Identifier.

  • From: John Young <jya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 13:53:09 -0500

Indeed. And every machine, heart monitor, subdermal chip, digital document,
digital and audial code, warcraft (land, sea, air, undersea, space) has an EM
signature. Some of the EM emanations can be dampened but not all. Warcraft
may be degaussed or implanted with false EM devices (digital docs tagged with
discoverable tags to hide the deeper ones), as can machines, computers,
networks, peripherals, electronic things of all kinds, human and animal chips
and sensory prostheses (Google glasses, hearing aids, electronic limbs,
voice boxes, therapy robots, baby monitors, on and on).

Passive acquistion devices which emit no EM are challenging. The RU
cavity resonating microphone planted in US Moscow embassy is ancient
technology. Now as reliable astrology alchemy as the lie detector, kept
alive for dupery.

Counter TEMPEST technology is very much a black magic art, some of
which may be at once true and false, only the emissaries of god can say
so long as the tithes flow.

A few years back the US Coast Guard built very expensive new ships which
failed TEMPEST testing and costs tripled to provide that protection.
Cryptome was booted from its ISP for publishing the reports of a private
investigator who refused to conceal the failure.

Other private investigators have lost nice contracts with FBI et al for refusing
to conceal how the agencies deceive the public with advanced intercept
technology applied below the radar of congressional and leakers disclosures.

Not much will be done about public deception until the public controls its
own privacy tools and stops relying upon industry and government to protect
them from industry and government. Online this is a particularly grievous
practice by those who promote tools not wholly under the control of
users, instead capitalize on producers of protection tithing with
cooperation for lucrative contracts, then contributing to NGO promoters
for tax reductions.

Perhaps one day there will be an Internet, cellular and computer technology
not wholly devoted to spying on users.

Perhaps one day we will have wearable, highly sensitive oscilloscopes to
continuously sweep our personal space for bugs and EM siphons, like
the digital warriors and warcraft do now. Racing to stay ahead of rapidly
increasing EM emanation acquisition weaponry as well as the faux versions
set up to persuade we are more or less protected.

Perhaps one day national security will wither as a fashionista topic, or be
consigned to a throw-away, or easily blocked, section of religion of news
outlets.

At 12:50 PM 12/6/2014, you wrote:
Hi John,
There were a couple of other things I forgot to mention when you were asking about some advice for the guy who is worried about security and encryption.

The first one is noise signatures. Every piece of electronic equipment has what is called a "noise signature". For instance thermal noise and working noise. Every microprocessor has its own unique noise signature, when it is working and when it is heating up. Modern forensic software can detect it and identify it. I forget where I read it but I am almost certain it was in one of the papers published on Cryptome...if not, a link from that. The second one is the noise which is the hum on the mains electricity frequency. This 50 cycles per second frequency has been used to identify suspects and as evidence to prosecute them. I think the particular case was when someone was using a phone, mobile or landline, I don't know, but law enforcement were able to pick up and amplify the background noise.. Apparently, the phase of the wave form on the mains electricity supply varies during the day and over different parts of the country, all the year round. There are no two places where it is the same. Forget where I found that one too, but there you are, no one is perfec... :-).