[cryptome] Re: New Lies For Old / The Perestroika Deception

  • From: douglas rankine <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 11:38:09 +0000

I remember, at the time when Gorbachev took over as top dog in the USSR, he spoke to an international writers conference somewhere in the Soviet Far East, and when he was asked "How far did he expect Perestroika to proceed?" He said, "All the way" No ifs, no buts. I was very much surprised and shocked at the time, that he could be so wide because I didn't think he had the power amongst the top echelons and apparatchiks in the Party and state, or enough backing from the people. In fact so much so, I didn't know whether to believe him. The rest, or course, is history. A bunch of "Tankies" organised a coup, a drunken Yeltsin took over, Gorbachev got the sack, and now we have Perestroika With Putin.

However, as an exercise in learning about deception, it is well worth while to read about all the skills and techniques of propoganda which were used by all sides at the height of the Cold War. I suppose that to have such deception was much better than to have a hot war, with thermo-nuclear weapons deciding the outcome for the next 100,000 years.

However, the world is not a lot different today, with concentration camps organised on all sides in Syria, as part of teaching the people about how to become democrats. Still, us democratic countries and states will save them in the end, even the starving ones, I am sure. We have nice, clinical weapons these days, which offer incisions with the surgical precision of a laser beam, and little or no collateral damage, and secret services and tailored operations abroad suited to the needs and requirements of the home state, all mixed in with the requirements of other home states, nice mix, nice muddle. Steps are now being taken to limit migration in Europe because a bunch of male migrants confused by a mixture of Western fantasies and their own fucked up religious beliefs, and the torments of war and breakdown of the family in their countries think it is open season on "Western Women" too much western porn on the internet and too much propoganda about what a wonderful world the West is...material and spiritual freedom without checks and balances on the morality, ethics and freedom of action is the message...and they fall for it hook line and sinker. Our governments are so careful to protect the rights of the people and provide them with all the benefits which western society, in alliance with the Saudis, the Israelis, the Iranians, the Syrians and the Jordanians have to offer in terms of terrorist organisations and methods, that we often forget that there is a dark, untalked about side to the story...

On 11/01/2016 23:27, Michael Best wrote:

If you've never read them or even heard of them, I highly recommend them. Whether you dismiss him or think there's something worth listening, the Nosenko / Golitsyn permanently affair changed U.S. intelligence (not to mention the JFK and Watergate connections).

New Lies For Old: http://www.spiritoftruth.org/newlies4old.pdf
The Perestroika Deception: http://www.spiritoftruth.org/The_Perestroika_Deception.pdf

In his book Wedge - The Secret War between the FBI and CIA (Knopf, 1994), Mark Riebling stated that of 194 predictions made in New Lies For Old, 139 had been fulfilled by 1993, 9 seemed 'clearly wrong', and the other 46 were 'not soon falsifiable'.

Golitsyn was a figure of significant controversy in the Western intelligence community. The military writer General Sir John Hackett, and the former CIA counter-intelligence director James Angleton identified Golitsyn as "the most valuable defector ever to reach the West". However, the official historian for MI5, Christopher Andrew, described him as an "unreliable conspiracy theorist". Andrew believes that although intelligence data provided by Golitsyn were reliable, some of his global political assessments of the Soviet and KGB strategy are questionable.

      New Lies for Old

In 1984, Golitsyn published the book /New Lies For Old/, wherein he warned about a long-term deception <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deception> strategy of seeming retreat from hard-line Communism designed to lull the West into a false sense of security, and finally economically cripple and diplomatically isolate the United States <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States>. Among other things, Golitsyn stated:

    "The "liberalization" would be spectacular and impressive. Formal
    pronouncements might be made about a reduction in the communist
    party's role: its monopoly would be apparently curtailed. An
    ostensible separation of powers between the legislative, the
    executive, and the judiciary might be introduced. The Supreme
    Soviet would be given greater apparent power, and the president of
    the Soviet Union and the first secretary of the party might well
    be separated. The KGB would be "reformed." Dissidents at home
    would be amnestied; those in exile abroad would be allowed to
    return, and some would take up positions of leadership in government.

    Sakharov might be included in some capacity in the government or
    allowed to teach abroad. The creative arts and cultural and
    scientific organizations, such as the writers' unions and Academy
    of Sciences, would become apparently more independent, as would
    the trade unions. Political clubs would be opened to nonmembers of
    the communist party. Leading dissidents might form one or more
    alternative political parties.

    There would be greater freedom for Soviet citizens to travel.
    Western and Unitized Nations observers would be invited to the
    Soviet Union to witness the reforms in action."

Angleton and Golitsyn reportedly sought the assistance of William F. Buckley, Jr. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_F._Buckley,_Jr.> (who once worked for the CIA) in writing /New Lies for Old/. Buckley refused but later went on to write a novel about Angleton, /Spytime: The Undoing of James Jesus Angleton/.

      The Perestroika Deception

In 1995 he published a book containing purported memoranda attributed to Golitsyn entitled /The Perestroika <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perestroika> Deception/ which claimed:

  * "The [Soviet] strategists are concealing the secret coordination
    that exists and will continue between Moscow and the 'nationalist'
    leaders of [the] 'independent' republics."
  * "The power of the KGB remains as great as ever... Talk of cosmetic
    changes in the KGB and its supervision is deliberately publicized
    to support the myth of 'democratization' of the Soviet political
    system."
  * "Scratch these new, instant Soviet 'democrats,' 'anti-Communists,'
    and 'nationalists' who have sprouted out of nowhere, and
    underneath will be found secret Party members or KGB agents."