[cryptome] Re: Netanyahu and Likud could lose election

  • From: "shelley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <shelley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:28:43 -0700

Doug,

Hey, at least you're using Linux.  That's a great start :)

Anytime you see 'utm' in a link (or as part of a cookie stored on your computer), it refers to Google analytics. It used to be called Urchin way back when, hence the 'ut'- urchin tracking.

Base URL (which brings up the website, I checked):
http://www.timesofisrael.com/is-likud-about-to-lose-the-election

Tracking:

The source, as it says:
&utm_source=The+Times+of+Israel+Daily+Edition

The specific newsletter it came from:
&utm_campaign=fdb2dcb2d5-2015_03_12

That you got it via email and not from the site itself:
&utm_medium=email

Your personally identifying info in coded form- which links everyone who clicks on that tracking link back to you:
&utm_term=0_adb46cec92fdb2dcb2d5-5492373

Yeah, I know all the alphabet agencies get everything anyway. Still, why make it easy for the bastards? That's how I feel about it, anyway.

The thing with Google analytics is that it's ubiquitous. It'll follow you as you browse the web, building up a profile on you which is shared across and with other sites unless you block it. There are several good tools you can use to do this, let me know if you need help with it.

I'm much more of a stickler about this stuff than most of my other infosec friends, but the tracking irks the crap out of me.

I too get those 419 emails from the Nigerian princes wanting to give me millions, as well as the penile enhancement pill ads- which would be quite the miracle indeed, as I have girl parts ;)

-S

----------
On March 12, 2015 4:39:04 PM "Douglas Rankine" <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Shelley,
Tx for the info and advice...not being a computer savvy techie, can you
explain how the metadata below shows off my email addy or other personal
information?  John Young has published on this list on a couple of occasions
the metadata which is contained in my postings, which is far more
comprehensive, as an example of what is already available, with or without
additional urls. Is the additional information of my including long urls
exposing others on this list to unnecessary surveillance or risk? If so, I
apologise, but I need some education on how to avoid it.  I wouldn't like to
put anyone else at risk, but after all, the contents of my postings are
available not only for everyone on this list, but for all the world to
read...

Am I missing something here? If I am please tell me?  Is the information
associated with my postings any different from anyone else who contributes
to a public mailing list, or writes an email?  Can I hide my postings or the
metadata from the NSA, the C.I.A. the FBI, the GCHQ, the FSB, the Chinese
Security Service and Uncle Tom Cobley of the private international global
corporations and trackers and all?

One reason I put out the whole url is because I thought all the elements of
it were required in case anyone wanted to look at the url.  If any bit is
missing then it doesn't open up the web page, I have found in the past.  I
also use tiny url because I think it makes it easier for folks to click on
and go to the site, and giving them a choice.  I dare say that tiny url is
also full of trackers.  Even then, that has been queried as revealing
privacy issues.

I must say, I do get offers from people who live in Africa who have suffered
the most terrible tragedies and use the email address I use to post to this
list, who want to make me a multi-millionaire in return for me to trust them
with my name, address, date of birth, bank account details, a temptation of
which I have managed to resist doing so far.

 And there are one or two other ones which arrive on the problems I have
with erect penile dysfunction, and offering some medicine or other which may
or may not improve my stiffness and staying power, or produce a heart
attack, the last danger they conveniently miss out ...though how they know
that, I find quite mystifying, as the opportunity to prove it would be a
fine thing... :-).