[cryptome] Re: NSA documents on Cryptome 1996-2006

  • From: Ástríður Höskuldsdóttir <astridur@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 00:46:24 +0100

Þann 2013-07-28 12:59, Gary Wallin reit:
On 7/27/2013 11:04 AM, Ástríður Höskuldsdóttir wrote:
Thank you so much, good to have the links in one place. Now I have some good reading to do on this Saturday afternoon.
Regards,
Astridur

Þann 2013-07-18 12:11, John Young reit:
NSA documents on Cryptome 1996-2006:

http://cryptome.org/nsa-cryptome.htm

Not surprising that this issue keeps getting suppressed
by pretending it is either unknown or long-known. Both
techniques aim to whipsaw public attention into bored
indifference, movie Ally of the State.

But every patient librarian and promoter knows this is
why libraries were invented and loathed in concert with
breaking news and gossip -- now combined in the
impatient, intolerant, trigger-happy, drone-anonymous
reputation-flaunting-and-killing internet. The indignation
racket.

Insensate by insatiability. In a few weeks the terms NSA
and Snowden have over-numbed the buzz competition.

I like the phrase 'the indignation racket'.  'Indignation' seems to
be a highly profitable tool for getting eye-balls on the cable and
regular news networks. We see indignation about crimes and the
criminal justice process. We see indignation about political and
personal behaviors. We see indignation about the photo choices for the
cover of Rolling Stone.  Even those attempting to bring more
information, transparency, and sunshine into our lives are often met
with indignation contrived from spinning the details of their actions.

Someone with time on their hands should start an 'Indignation'
website, similar to BuzzFeed, so that we can begin to see how
indignant we have actually become.

I like it when the Daily Show and Colbert Report deconstruct the
news. By pointing out the indignant excesses, they throw water on the
would-be mob mentality and help to cool things down. But I still have
doubts about the day comings when we will begin to exhibit enough
personal responsibility  to get the 'Indignation Racket' under full
control. Thoughtful citizenship just doesn't seem to be driven enough
to the right thing.

--
All my email is subject to viewing by the Panopticon ::
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panopticon ::

Good point Gary. I think you answered your own question regarding the indignation process. Aren´t we all unconsciously being controlled by a certain kind of a panopticon effect which we are raised in. I looked up the link you shared on Wikipedia and it got me thinking about so many environments we participate in and there is always the eerie feeling of being watched. This process starts in daycare. My point is, I think that people are afraid of voicing a different opinion because of the fear of being watched or exposed. Those that do speak up are attacked and get put through the indignation process.

Regards,
Astridur