[cryptome] Re: NSA documents on Cryptome 1996-2006

  • From: Gary Wallin <garylwallin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 06:59:13 -0500

On 7/27/2013 11:04 AM, Ástríður Höskuldsdóttir wrote:
Thank you so much, good to have the links in one place. Now I have some good reading to do on this Saturday afternoon.
Regards,
Astridur

Þann 2013-07-18 12:11, John Young reit:
NSA documents on Cryptome 1996-2006:

http://cryptome.org/nsa-cryptome.htm

Not surprising that this issue keeps getting suppressed
by pretending it is either unknown or long-known. Both
techniques aim to whipsaw public attention into bored
indifference, movie Ally of the State.

But every patient librarian and promoter knows this is
why libraries were invented and loathed in concert with
breaking news and gossip -- now combined in the
impatient, intolerant, trigger-happy, drone-anonymous
reputation-flaunting-and-killing internet. The indignation
racket.

Insensate by insatiability. In a few weeks the terms NSA
and Snowden have over-numbed the buzz competition.

I like the phrase 'the indignation racket'. 'Indignation' seems to be a highly profitable tool for getting eye-balls on the cable and regular news networks. We see indignation about crimes and the criminal justice process. We see indignation about political and personal behaviors. We see indignation about the photo choices for the cover of Rolling Stone. Even those attempting to bring more information, transparency, and sunshine into our lives are often met with indignation contrived from spinning the details of their actions.

Someone with time on their hands should start an 'Indignation' website, similar to BuzzFeed, so that we can begin to see how indignant we have actually become.

I like it when the Daily Show and Colbert Report deconstruct the news. By pointing out the indignant excesses, they throw water on the would-be mob mentality and help to cool things down. But I still have doubts about the day comings when we will begin to exhibit enough personal responsibility to get the 'Indignation Racket' under full control. Thoughtful citizenship just doesn't seem to be driven enough to the right thing.

--
All my email is subject to viewing by the Panopticon ::
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panopticon ::