[cryptome] Re: Mobile Phone Security

  • From: Maarten Billemont <lhunath@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 13:36:21 -0400

I am unsure whether this is a valid tangent for this list, but I'd like to put
this thought and my question out there regardless.

While we are on the Internet, on a mailing list open to people from all nations
around the world, it is somewhat unclear to me what the etiquette and respect
for national laws should be.

I understand the United States of America has some seriously draconian
legislation with regards to copyright enforcement, not in the least the DMCA.
Regardless and perhaps especially because, I think it indecent to judge
citizens of all nations under the strict legalese of the US.  I don't know why
we're slowly moving toward an Internet where everybody everywhere is being
judged based on the DMCA and other purely American opinions on copyright, its
violations and what constitutes acceptable and unacceptable behaviour.

Might I point out, for instance, that there are many countries where the
downloading and even sharing of copyrighted material is, often under certain
terms, perfectly legal?  Countries such as Canada, the Netherlands and
Switzerland have very little objection to private use of copyright material,
especially when you've previously purchased and perhaps lost another digital
copy of said works.  Similarly, a recent ruling in Europe has confirmed that
links to copyrighted material do not constitute unlawful behaviour in itself.

At the same time, while the conversations on this list are not considered
criminal conduct in countries such as the US where freedom of speech is still
held in some regard, the same is not true for many other countries where the
mere discussion of certain topics or party thereof can be considered criminal.
Should be consider these laws while conversing on this list given the real
chance that some of its readers might be under those jurisdictions?

Perhaps behaviour on lists such as these need to be determined based on the
jurisdiction of the author of the message, perhaps under the jurisdiction of
the list's host, or perhaps under that of the list's reader.  Regardless, I
think it unjust to tell someone off for doing something that may well be
perfectly legal in his own country based primarily on US law.

A quick lookup does appear to indicate this list is hosted within US
jurisdiction, and if host jurisdiction ends up being the measure for a list's
etiquette, I can get behind that and this should probably be made known somehow
to those that sign up before they unwittingly violate a law they have no
knowledge of (surely we're not all expected to know the laws of each country
which may host an Internet service?).

As a disclaimer, this message does not express the opinion that sharing of
copyrighted material is acceptable, nor does it intend to condone it.

On Jun 10, 2014, at 12:23 PM, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/06/14 15:56, Aftermath wrote:
>> use at your own discression
>> On Tuesday, June 10, 2014, Douglas Rankine <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
> Hi B
> I am really pleased and relieved that you have said that...Now, whatever you
> do with your own life is your own affair.  The thing to think about for the
> future is, do you think it is wise to involve others in your private affairs
> by using this list to encourage other people on this list to download
> copyrighted material...without explaining to anyone the consequences which
> could occur to them and for this list, in that it could be accused of being
> used as a vehicle for downloading such stuff?And...do you think that peer to
> peer file sharing, encrypted or otherwise protects you, or anyone else from
> illegal activity on the internet, or from a civil suit of conspiracy and
> damages?  If so, you won't be the first...and you won't be the last.  Have a
> think, don't let your ego rule your common sense.  Now, I personally am not
> bothered what you do with your life, after all, you are a free agent and I
> don't know you...and it is only a personal opinion I am expressing...I could
> be wrong, and if you want to take that chance...that is up to you.
> Personally, I thought this list was about learning about encryption and
> computer security and information technology myself and not breaking the law.
>  Have you ever heard of a DMCA notice?  John Young gets them occasionally and
> he has been known to "pull" a file.   That's what one has to do, if one
> wishes to steer clear of the bad guys...or is it the good guys...
> Have a nice day...
>> Dear Aftermath,
>> Are you sure about that source. If so take a look at what the Electronic
>> Frontier Foundation says about it. They do a lovely simple to understand
>> tutorial on it. After reading it I think you will be advising our colleagues
>> of a different source.  We wouldn't want to be getting our younger and
>> perhaps more naive colleagues into trouble, would we😐
>> ATB
>> Dougie.
>> On Jun 10, 2014 1:09 PM, Aftermath <aftermath.thegreat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> thepiratebay.se/torrent/8020643/The_Wire
>> its great

— Maarten Billemont (lhunath) —
me: http://www.lhunath.com – business: http://www.lyndir.com –