[cryptome] Re: Microsoft and the NSA

  • From: Peter Presland <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 13:58:31 +0100

On 19/07/2013 13:02, Gary Wallin wrote:
> On 7/18/2013 7:59 PM, John Young wrote:
>> ...its greatest enemy is its hyper-paranoia.
>>
>> National security is not about protecting the nation, its aim
>> is to generate fear of its inevitable failure.
> John, perhaps you are too pessimistic.....

I think John has it pretty well nailed with that comment.

Agreed, 'human nature' is the core issue but.... here's the way I see
it: unless ways can be found to reverse the historic correlation between
the acquisition and retention/perpetuation of power, then humanity
itself has no future other than existence in variations on the dystopian
visions of George Orwell and Aldous Huxley - and I see precious little
sign of progress towards such an existence being halted, let alone
reversed - quite the opposite in fact.