[cryptome] Re: Looks like DHS sabotaged a FOIA request on Cryptome

  • From: douglas rankine <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 20:58:12 +0000

Hi Mike,
Do they have the right to close an FOIA request arbitrarily, without a reason? If so, do you know where such a regulation or law is, or where it could be found...or is it an administrative procedure. Is it possible for you to ask them to point your nose to the provision in law which grants them this right?

On 05/02/2016 20:52, Michael Best wrote:

I filed a FOIA request about Cryptome with DHS a while back:

    Any records relating to Cryptome, also known by its web address of
    Cryptome.org, which posts pictures of sensitive sites and
    potential security holes as described at

www.nytimes.com/2004/08/29/nyregion/mapping-natural-gas-lines-advise-the-public-tip-off-the-terrorists.html

<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/29/nyregion/mapping-natural-gas-lines-advise-the-public-tip-off-the-terrorists.html>
    by the New York Times.

https://www.muckrock.com/foi/united-states-of-america-10/cryptome-dhs-22647/

Sent through MuckRock on December 1, acknowledged on December 2. Also closed on December 2, according to the DHS FOIA website. No notification or explanation provided, not through MuckRock or to me directly. I say to me directly because they also closed another FOIA of mine without explanation, insisting on opening a new one when I tried to follow up within the 30 days.

http://www.dhs.gov/foia-status FOIA # *2016-HQFO-00099*

Weird, right?