[cryptome] Laziness in Mass Communications and Research of Issues

  • From: douglas rankine <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 00:36:45 +0000

Dear Colleagues,
One of the things I have noticed recently, is the lack of diligence, discipline and research into issues which affect people. It is happening all across the board. In the "good old days" reporters from the mass media used to do proper research and in depth journalism. Nowadays, they are no more and no less than hacks. Instead of doing the basic and fundamental research, they rehash stuff they have picked up on the world wide web and then relay it to others as original research and truth without any critical input from themselves. We all use Wikipedia for instance. Personally, I use it a lot...it is a valuable resource, but it isn't the B all and end all of wisdom on the www. It is a starting point, an introduction to a subject. Wikipedia is good for providing leads to more deeper and relevant research, usually. Increasingly, too, the academic institutions are hiving off their research and no longer making it freely available. They want to charge for it. This goes against the grain as far as I am concerned. Education should be free, easily available, not biased or coloured by vested interests. Newspapers are having less and less influence, because more and more people are not prepared to pay for an editorial line with which they agree. More newspapers are more interested in fantasy than they are in real news. People can find out on the www what information there is about a subject without having to pay for it, via voluntary groups, or pressure groups etc, rather than relying on the mass media which is profit and sensalionist oriented. Many newspapers are dying, their circulations collapsing, people can get instant news via the social media, and they get it for free. The quality, the truthfulness, the reality of the mass media, is in question.

The same musings apply to government organisations, the employees and civil servants seem to spend more time on emails and indulging their fantasies on the www than they do in doing their jobs, serving the people, serving the needs of the people. We, the people, have to pay for their indulgences. Still, nuffink has changed, yesterday it was religion, nowadays it is intelligence, law enforcement and security.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel that it needs to be said.