[cryptome] IRS reporting requires for quid pro quo donations (Cryptome USB)

  • From: Michael Best <themikebest@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Cryptome1 <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Young <jya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, dn@xxxxxxxxxxxx, cryptome <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 12:17:35 -0500

Cryptome/John/Deborah,

Since I made a $100 donation for the Cryptome archives in late September,
after the nonprofit application was filed but before approval (which is
retroactive to the application date, if I understand it correctly), and the
donation was quid pro quo and over $75, I'm not allowed to deduct the full
amount on taxes. I can only deduct $100 minus the value of USBs and files,
as determined by the nonprofit organization. Due to the timing, we forgot
about this before and I never got the written statement. Could you send one
to me, and perhaps post the value of the various USB archives on the site
so others can anticipate it and you dom't have to bother with a separate
written request each time.

Could you also post a copy of the exemption application as well?

Thanks so much! =)

--Mike