[cryptome] Re: IG Office: Classification Act,Report Number INS,-,2014,-,002,30 December 2014

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 13:17:58 +0000

Hi Michael,
Tx for your posting and your thoughts, they are much appreciated.

I suppose that part of my problem is that I take the law and executive function and politicians too literally, or too seriously. Perhaps democracy is about metaphor rather than anything practical after all.

The trouble is you see, I don't see much point in having an independent oversight organisation, which works within a legal framework and constitution...if it doesn't carry out that function, or isn't allowed or expected to carry out that function. It is a waste of money and resources in my view. If it is not doing its job, then what is it there for? It hasn't prevented covert or even overt domestic surveillance, that has grown enormously for other reasons. Why bother with it? What is the point in appointing watchers to watch the watchers if they don't do their job? And it isn't as if you or I can effectively watch the watchers, we don't have access to classified information. Over 295 million US citizens don't have access to such information, and the rest of those (over 5 million US citizens; plus a few Russians, Chinese, French and 5i's who do have limited access at least, can't talk about it). The US taxpaying citizen have to take what they are told on trust.

Do I take the conspiracy route and say it is a con, or do I just write it off with an overdose of morphine. The trouble is that the morphine wears off, and one gets withdrawal symptoms, paranoia sets in, but the waste of resources by the state continues. And we all go on our merry way, supposedly thinking just how wonderful democracy and the democratic system is.
Just a thought...:-)

On 11/01/15 20:10, Michael Shelton wrote:

Hi I always find the posts interesting.In terms of the findings from the IG;what is being sought is a resolution, so of course there is no evidence of any wrong doing.This information must be taken with a grain of morphine.......I know that there is a policy there at ICIG of being able to question the use of domestic covert surveillance and if it is really necessary or not. One thing to keep in mind is the standing executive order to maximise the value of existing human assets.(e.o.12958).
  Refuse to give up. ..Expect to Win.
And in that spirit I remain......I.A.O.

On 11 Jan 2015 04:26, "doug" <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Quote<<<IG found no instances where classification was used to
    conceal violation of law,
    inefficiency, or administrative error; prevent embarrassment to a
    person, organization,
    or agency; restrain competition; or prevent or delay the release
    of information not
    requiring protection in the interest of national security.
    >>>End of Quote.

    That's alright then...  No hanky panky in the intelligence
    services after all.  Everything above board and tickety boo.