[cryptome] Re: I have been investigating this incident since 2000 it involves taking bones.doc

  • From: "Al Mac Wow" <macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 14:36:26 -0500

I have no idea why estimates of ages from 17 to 70 would be ridiculous.  I
would expect the age range might be wider, including babies, small children,
and more elderly.

I don't know about your scenario, but for other places in the world, many
anthropologists have had no respect for the sensibilities of the descendants
of the bodies they are excavating, until there is local legislation
mandating standards, and sometimes not even then.  Passing laws, against an
activity, do not end that activity.  We have seen this with sacred Indian
burial grounds in the USA, and many historical investigations of ancient
Egypt.

I suggest some questions you might want to add to your list.

We know that in international law, a nation has the right to thumb its nose
at any international court ruling.  But are there treaties between nations,
where there has been a pledge to respect each other's sensibilities?  Do any
apply to this scenario?

Do the nations, from where the bodies were located, or finally laid to rest,
have laws regarding this subject?  Can you get those citations?

Is there a statute of limitations?  For example, if there is no immediate
surviving next of kin, it is Ok to desecrate the bodies.  Within the USA
there is now no statute of limitations.  It does not matter how ancient the
bones, found in the USA, thou shalt not disrespect the Indian tribes
involved.  They get to decide what is done with the body parts, not the
anthropologists.

Do the nations, from which the scientists originated, have laws regarding
the conduct of their people?  Can you get list of those nations, with
citations of the relevant laws?

Do the organizations, which funded this activity, have rules regarding
standards of what it is they are funding?  Can you get a list of those
organizations, and copies of those rules?

Does the UN have standards for the removal of body parts, and their
subsequent return?  May we see copy of that document?

Are these standards being followed in this case?  May we see proof of that?

If the UN has no such standards, what progress is being made towards
rectifying that?

I would expect that such standards include:

*         There be a tracking # system for body bag / cemetery plot
disposition, so that samples know where to be returned.

*         There be a sample # associated with each sample.

*         There be a record, kept with the body bag, listing all removed
samples, and by what organization.  So the families know what is missing,
and who to contact seeking resolution.

*         There be a record, kept with the samples, identifying the body bag
they be returned to when the reason for the samples has ended.

*         There be a chain of custody evidence so if different parts of the
samples go different places, they all can return home when their needs have
expired.

If there is a system, like I have described, for how many years is such
evidence stored, so that independent investigators can verify that
everything was done according to the book, or what exceptions there were?

I see risks that:

*       Funding runs out to support the standards, so steps are taken in
violation of the standards.
*       Forensic evidence might be destroyed when researchers no longer
needed it.
*       Records might be destroyed when the research organization no longer
needed it.

Is there training for the forensics people, which includes standards of
religions and cultures of the region, which may differ from that of the
scientist background?  Is that training a requirement for personnel managing
these research projects?

How are standards enforced for the research projects?

Alister William Macintyre