[cryptome] Homeland: Latest Series

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 12:44:43 +0000

Dear Colleagues,
As you know I do like my little bit of fiction, especially when it comes to the intelligence services, secret agencies and such like, operating in international politics, diplomacy and influencing or trying to change world events on behalf of and to the advantage of their individual nation states. I have been particularly impressed with Homeland, from its development as a short Israeli production to the full scale US series. The development of the story line, the complicatedness of the plotting and planning has only been matched by the scheming and deviousness of the actors on the main stage and sub stage of international diplomacy. The recent series has been very good along those lines, apart from not quite getting the recent events in Syria right, what, with the Russian intervention and bombing the shit out of the Middle East, along with the other democracies, was unforeseen to see the least. No wonder Europe has so many migrants sailing in. If our western states were to spend as much money developing the Middle East and encouraging trade, cultural exchange and democracy as they are intent on destroying it, providing war materiels and logistics to so called freedom fighters and illegally bringing down de facto governments; we might see a different situation...but there you are...that's the way of the world...and the US elections are coming up.

My only criticism of the latest series really, is that I keep getting distracted by the poor tradecraft, particularly when it comes to the use of digital media and mobile phones. They really need to waken up their ideas in the Hollywood Fantasy Factory, it seems to me. It is very remiss of them. It is almost as if other secret intelligence services don't exist or have the same capabilities... Such an attitude is ripe for making mistakes and miscalculations...it is an ongoing struggle...still, that is also the way of the world. Not a lot has been learned from 9/11, technology moves on.

Along those lines, rather than just be negative about the production, I thought that the latest series of Homeland should be compulsory viewing for all CIA and NSA operatives and spies as a training film, if such a thing is possible in a democracy... :-). They would all enjoy it I am sure and love pointing out all the failings, so that one day we can get perfect spying, perfect betrayal and perfect undiscoverability... :-). In fact a perfect world, where everyone and everything is in its place, and there is nuffink but equality of domination...:-).
Just a thought... :-). Carrie on with the good work... :-).