[cryptome] Geography south of Syria

  • From: "Al Mac Wow" <macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 06:08:21 -0500

All these links were stories published before British Parliament vetoed
Britain's involvement in attacks against Syria.

As usual, some stories may be designed for some audiences, describing a
story other than the whole truth.

Since the British vote, I have seen stories where:

*       French President says they are still with USA, going to participate
in any strikes against Syria.
*       Germany says they will not participate.

This first (BBC) story charts where some attacks against Syria could come
from.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23849386

Note speculation in this first BBC story that Jordan air bases could be
used.

Note the 2 US aircraft carriers to the south (USS Nimitz and Harry S Truman)
& ask what path they might follow when flying to Syria, assuming any nation
they fly over, other than Syria, would be asked for fly-over permission, to
avoid a confrontation with that nation.  There's also stealth and drones,
where traditional logic, dating back at least to the Pentagon Papers, thinks
plausible deniability is possible.

There's a French aircraft carrier called Charles de Gaulle, out of southern
France.  I have seen in some news stories another air craft carrier also
there, labeled as being from Finland.  I suspect a misprint.  I tend to
wonder, how many nations have aircraft carriers nowadays.

Not Jordan, per this Chinese news story.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/video/2013-08/29/c_132672994.htm

This site is worth noodling around other stories to see if there's any new
info regarding China's position beyond:

*       China is pro-Assad, from Syria's perspective their largest trade
partner.  China gets crude oil from Syria.
*       China is utterly opposed to any nation's sovereignty being violated,
except when China is doing it, like recent disputes over territory now held
by Japan and India.
*       China will veto anything in UN which might give cover to US attacks
on Syria.
*       China has been wagging finger at the US saying not to attack Syria,
but not being as vociferous as Russia, Iran, Syria, and some other nations.
*       I had heard other info, which I would like to see a confirmation on.

Not Egypt per same Chinese news site.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2013-08/29/c_132674613.htm

I have heard, from other stories, that Iraq is now on same side as Iran &
Syria in the Sunni - Shiite divide, thanks to US recent memory regime change
in Iraq, not producing precisely the results the US wanted . regime changes
almost never do.  I can't see Russia's immediate neighbors going against
Russia's Pro-Assad position.

Here's part of a BBC map of the region, showing almost a wall across the
region, across which aircraft from those two aircraft carriers would have to
cross, along with any Saudi and Gulf allies.  This story also confirms
Jordan's air bases cannot be used in any strike on Syria.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23849587

So the only clear path, which makes any sense to me, is over Saudi to where
Israel has a port on Red Sea, over Israel, then either Golan Heights air
space, or via Med to join RAF from Cyprus, assuming Cyprus is still in the
fight, with Britain out of it.

I was wondering if Saudis and any Gulf states were going to be in US
coalition, and what they and Israel, and other Arab states, might think
about them being part of an air fleet flying over Israel.  I do not believe
that would be politically expedient for them.

Al Mac = Alister William Macintyre