[cryptome] Re: Fwd: has there ever been a FOIA request leading to initiation of criminal prosecution against the requestor?

  • From: Lou Novacheck <luigibasco@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 20:56:18 -0600

Not exactly what you're asking, but along similar lines. About eight years
or so back I sent a FOIA request to NSA for info on "Field Station Sinop,"
where I was stationed once. I no longer have the info at hand, and I don't
recall names and dates presactly, but this is the gist.

A few days after my email inquiry I received a phone call from a guy who
identified himself as "an NSA investigator." I don't recall the name he
gave. He told me he'd been directed to investigate why I'd used "a
classified term" when I was asking for the info, specifically "Field
Station Sinop." I explained that "Field Station Sinop" had over 10,000
hits on Google (that was then; more now) so why was NSA still considering
it classified? He explained that he was directed to make the call by his
supervisor, and we had a good laugh about it. As far as I know, there's
been no follow-up on the incident, as I never heard from the investigator
again. Again, I didn't save any of the info, but if you'll Google my name,
"Lou Novacheck," and "Field Station Sinop," you should find this and
perhaps more. I found it when I was doing some other research on something
2-3 years ago that never evolved, so I didn't do any more research on it.
Here are three hits I found:
http://www.military.com/HomePage/UnitPageHistory/1,13506,702326%7C873553,00.html
https://openrecords.wordpress.com/about/
http://blogcritics.org/the-kgbs-state-department-spy/

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 8:08 PM, coderman <coderman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 5/29/15, coderman <coderman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
i would like to know if anyone is aware of past incidents where a FOIA
request results in a law enforcement agency initiating (accelerating?)
criminal action against the requesting individual...

thanks to everyone for the responses.

someone else pointed out FBI "disruption strategies"[0] which may
appear to be investigation oriented but in fact are merely denial of
service attacks.

i created a new FOIA for this category of operation[1] and will see
what turns up...

best regards,

0. "UNLEASHED AND UNACCOUNTABLE - The FBI’s Unchecked Abuse of Authority"
-
https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/assets/unleashed-and-unaccountable-fbi-report.pdf
see page 18, chapter 3, 'Innocent Victims of Aggressive Investigation
and Surveillance'

1. "FederalDisruption"
-
https://www.muckrock.com/foi/united-states-of-america-10/federaldisruption-18313/

--
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who

How much difference is there between an Obama nation and an abomination?

“Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of
what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don't.
~ Steve Maraboli

The power of words
http://www.wimp.com/powerwords/