[cryptome] Re: Fw: "The Battle for Iran," 1953: Re-Release of CIA Internal History Spotlights New Details about anti-Mosaddeq Coup

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 11:27:51 +0100

Tx for jogging my memory. It was really bugging me, I knew I had read it somewhere. It just goes to show what a great education and learning resource Cryptome is. A must for all secrecy buffs and aspiring spies and historians...long may it continue...;-)

On 28/06/14 00:44, John Young wrote:
Footnote to the  CIA Battle for Iran re-release.

In 2000 NY Times published a longer account of the Mossedeq
overthow which was amply redacted, but redacted by a means which
could be easily reversed, which we discovered by accident. We removed
the redactions and published the report despite NY Times' plea
to not do it (we informed the paper beforehand).

http://cryptome.org/cia-iran.htm

<http://cryptome.org/cia-iran.htm>Later the Times redid the redactions by a more secure means
and that is the version still offered by the paper. National Security
Archive has brief mention of this event but does not name Cryptome,
merely says it was done by the "Web,"  nor point to our version,
instead points to the NY Times'.

So like the Snowden releases, the USG still considers Ed's disclosures
classified and they may not be cited in official documents. Though
officials read them avidly to complain about harm to the nation.

Kind of like Doug's report on BBC monitoring: layers of
access for the privileged, the least access by those who
pay for the official secrecy done to protect the foolish
but not protect from officials and their craven cohorts.