[cryptome] Re: Freelists As Well As NSA Snooping Addendum

  • From: Ben McGinnes <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 23:48:24 +1000

On 26/07/13 9:57 PM, John Young wrote:

> Cryptome does not support secret forums, instead participants should
> know contents are public before joining a forum or participating.

I blame webmail.  Ever since people stopped looking at email in a mail
client, they started treating mailing lists like reddit or some PHP
forum.

> This list has had little traffic and only a small number of
> posters. That's a fine alternative to social media frenzy of aiding
> official and commercial spying that is fostering the unwary frenzy
> to harvest its "free" bounty.

Certainly freelists.org isn't the best option given what you want, but
there are alternatives.

> We add on the possible list closing, all messages will be deleted,
> subscriber list too.
>
> But, destroying public information is abominable, so we are open to
> persuasion on this.

What I would do is this:

1) Fine a new service that provides complete control, e.g. like that
   offered by RiseUp: https://www.riseup.net/en/lists

2) Create the new list, play with the settings, test it.

3) Either disable the archive entirely or restrict it to subscribers
   only.

4) Announce the new list on the old list for people to subscribe and
   post to with links to the relevant guides.  Warn the subscribers
   about step 5 and what to expect (which you should know from testing
   in step 2).

5) Mass subscribe the entire list of subscribers to the new list.

6) Prevent further posting to the old list and make a copy of the
   entire archive at that point (e.g. as a .zip file).

7) If there's a file share for the new list, upload the copy of the
   old archive for subscriber access only.

8) Delete the old list, including the archive and subscriber list.

That's it.

Oh, I used riseup.net in the example because they provide services to
activists and are big on privacy, even on mailing lists.  The only
potential drawback is whether you'd class Cryptome as radical in the
same way as they would.  I'd be surprised if they took that tack given
all the stuff you publish, but who knows.

Regards,
Ben