[cryptome] Freedom of Speech: Caricatures of the Prophet Mohammet

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 11:18:43 +0000

Dear Colleagues,
I never read newspapers or magazines these days...One pays for editorial propaganda and being a target of advertisers. And I would never dream of insulting anyone because of their religion or religious beliefs...far too many other things going on in my life, which are much more interesting. However, in the interests of free speech, I pay lip service to others who have such bees in their bunnets.

You can of course, if you are interested, see caricatures, paintings, likenesses and so on of the Prophet Mohammed, in the Guggenhiem Museum in New York, and they are also on show if you ask to see them, at the British Library. I dare say that there are many other historical records kept in the leading cities of the world. These likenesses were mainly created in the 8th Century or thereabouts, and are absolutely beatiful and were never considered as contentious. They were created by Muslim artists. Not all parts of the Muslim religion are united in their opposition to the publishing of pictures of Mohammed. And the Caliphs and I believe certain sections of the Shi'ites still use them in every day worship...and Muslim artists still create them every day. There are of course, certain Islaamic countries where pictures or effigies of Jews and Jesus Christ are burnt or stoned every day, with, or without state sanction. One doesn't hear of them very often of course...international diplomacy being what it is....

The trouble I have found with this world, is that some learned people, who should know better, just don't have a clue what they are talking about. I have also found that most very religious people, with whom I have spoken, have very little knowledge of the history of their own religion. Like most of the irreligious, they tend to pick out the "nice" bits in life and believe in that, and forget the contentious bits. How else would one get through life. The study of the history of religion, I, of course, find fascinating.

see url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depictions_of_Muhammad

see url: http://islamqa.info/en/10452
Why people shouldn't have pictures of Mohammed, particularly Christians. The Muslim faith came into being some four centuries after Christianity...not that that means anything....:-)

C'est la vie....