[cryptome] Farooks Phone and Back up to the Cloud

  • From: douglas rankine <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 17:57:24 +0000

Dear Colleagues,
I wonder if any of our colleagues can enlighten me as to the significance of the FBI instructing the owners of Farooks phone to change the password of the back up to the Cloud? Now, as I understand it, not all the information on Farooks phone would have been backed up to the Cloud anyway, and so, for forensic purposes, the contents in the Cloud would not be a true representation and of as great evidential value as that which would be achieved if all the contents of the phone could be gained and recorded.

In one article I have read, it said that if the password had not been changed, then, the FBI, by the use of various kinds of forensic software, namely password cracking ware, it would have been able to make many "brute force" attacks on the Cloud back up, ad infinitum, without the "contents deletion system" being operated, which may have allowed them to access the contents of the phone, due to the fact that the password protection software which Apple has on the phone does not protect the back up in the Cloud.

I do apologise to colleagues, if I have misunderstood what is going on...which is why I am asking. There are some critics who are blaming the FBI for fucking up the very process which would have allowed them to gain access to all the data on the phone, via number crunching of the password. Can I say, I may even not be framing the question properly, hence my appeal to you to help me get it right...:-) .
ATB
Doug,