[cryptome] Fake URLs - "crvptome"

  • From: Michael Best <themikebest@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: John Young <jya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, cryptome <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 10:04:25 -0500

While searching for a few Cryptome files just now, I discovered there seem
to be a few fake Cryptome URLs floating around - like "
crvptome.org/2014/05/crvptome-fara-14-0507.pd"

The y's in both instances of Cryptome in the URL were replaced with v's.
While it looks slightly similar, the keys are nowhere near each other (at
least on on a QWERTY keyboard) so I have to wonder if the URLs are one of
the many phishing schemes and URL redirection scams. The good news is that
crvptome.org doesn't seem to return any sort of page right now, but I
wanted to alert everyone to the possibility.