[cryptome] Re: FW: Cold War Updated

  • From: Andrew Hornback <achornback@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 16:54:06 -0400

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Douglas Rankine <
douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

It seems to me that security software is a waste of time and money, an
> illusion.

[snip]

Security software has it's uses... I think it's pretty useful in keeping
your pockets from getting picked while walking down the dark alleys of the
'net.  However, it's pretty much useless (unless used in a serious security
strategy) against corporate or state sponsored intelligence.

To the commoner, what's more important - keeping a few quid in the bank to
pay for a loaf of bread or keeping their personal information secure from
the prying eyes of the state?  Sadly, while I feel that both are of equal
importance, the "man on the street" is going to tell you that they'd rather
have quid in the bank.

> It is like Snowden gaining political asylum in Russia, or Assange getting
> refuge in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London.  There must be some kind of
> exchange of information going on.  Government agents don’t give out state
> money out of the kindness of their hearts...

So, there's the thought that Ecuador is going to leverage what they get
from Assange to become a global power?  Maybe history will tell me how
wrong I am, but I find that somewhat amusing.

As far as Russia draining Snowden for more information - what could they
make out of it?  What could he tell them that's going to be of use given
the political situation between the US and Russia?  Somehow, I don't see
Putin going on TV and threatening Obama with the release of 100,000 pages
of documentation unless the US and NATO stays out of Ukraine or wherever.
Hidden information gives you leverage if applied properly...

--- A