[cryptome] FW: Cold War Updated

  • From: "Douglas Rankine" <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 21:00:47 -0000

From cryptome...

See url:
http://pando.com/2015/03/01/internet-privacy-funded-by-spooks-a-brief-histor
y-of-the-bbg/

Interesting article on the funding of security and encrypted and
"anonymising" software by various US government bodies...I have been a
member of this list for almost a year now, and I am even less convinced that
there is such a thing as secure or anonymising software.   I know that the
US intelligence and security services are huge, diverse and use a lot of
human and hardware resources, and there are lots of contradictions and
crossed lines in what they are trying to achieve; but it is difficult to
believe that they don't have access to backdoors or other ways of accessing
these things and organisations they fund, either through people employed in
the organisations, or through the equipment.  It seems to me that security
software is a waste of time and money, an illusion.   And I am rather
pleased that I used my time learn other things instead of wasting my
time...Of course, perhaps this is the way that the US government wants
people like me to think...who knows...

It is like Snowden gaining political asylum in Russia, or Assange getting
refuge in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London.  There must be some kind of
exchange of information going on.  Government agents don't give out state
money out of the kindness of their hearts...

ATB,