[cryptome] Re: Exemplary Greenwald-Poitras Opsec Op-Ed

  • From: Shelley <shelley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 10:36:30 -0700

This contains the quote you referenced, but it's another article about the UK's
detention of David Miranda.

As time passes, something about this whole thing just doesn't seem right to me.
&nbsp;I'll have to look for the actual article for reference, but I thought
Greenwald said he and Poitras were both given complete copies of Snowden's
files. &nbsp;Why would Miranda be carrying pieces of it between Poitras and
Greenwald if they both have it?

And, this "piece of paper" detail explaining how to access files, conveniently
complete with password, makes NO sense. &nbsp;From what has been written about
Poitras and her acute awareness of security and the use of encryption (which it
seems Greenwald now shares), why on Earth would she commit info like that to
pen &amp; paper? &nbsp;I have trouble beliving she would endanger the info and
Miranda by doing something so utterly stupid.

It&nbsp;could be their way of screwing with Scotland Yard, or perhaps it is UK
Gov't disinfo tactics. &nbsp;The details of this story just don't seem to add
up.

But, that assumption is based on reality being what has been presented to us;
something that we take for granted at our own peril.

----

On Aug 30, 2013 9:49 AM, John Young &lt;jya@xxxxxxxxxxxx&gt; wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23898580

Although many of the files were encrypted, Mr Robbins

said, Mr Miranda was also carrying a "piece of paper

containing basic instructions for accessing some data,

together with a piece of paper that included the password

for decrypting one of the encrypted files on the external

hard drive".

But not yet chapter titled in Greenwald's book or screen credited

on Poitras's documentary.