[cryptome] Re: Encryption Experts and Snake Oilers Quacking Like Governments

  • From: Shaun O'Connor <capricorn8159@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 21:19:28 +0000

Nice one John and I couldn't agree more.

My premise has always been that it is never enough to download something
without knowing what it does( if at all possible) and also one should
take the time to understand the proper use of said package etc. likewise
i refuse to touch sites that offer "premade" passwords ( yes they do
exist) the danger lies in that the user becomes lazy or forgetfull and
omits to change the default password for one that is more appropriate.

additionally of course one should carefully evaluate the degree of
sensitivity of the work they are doing and plan security
operations/measures accordingly.

the moral of the story being that practical security means effort on the
part of the person wanting to secure their data. THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS.

ATB

Shaun

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/11/when-time-comes-we-need-be-ready-fight-tpps-secret-anti-user-agenda