[cryptome] Re: Duck A Go Go and Tunnel Bear

  • From: Shelley <shelley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 09:23:08 -0700

On September 24, 2017 6:24:10 AM Douglas Rankine <douglasrankine@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anyone got any knowledge of Duck A Go Go search engine

Covering DuckDuckGo here. I've read/heard mixed things about Tunnelbear but last time I tried to test it I couldn't get it to play nice with Linux. I'm told the situation may have improved: if I decide to give it another go, I will report back.

I've been using DuckDuckGo for many years (although I like Duck A Go Go better as a name!) I first began using it because it works without enabling JavaScript or cookies and because they claim not to "track" you. I haven't seen anything to contradict that claim, but I assume the Five/Fourteen/Hundred Eyes people tap everything upstream anyway so I treat everything as suspect. I would not advise using any search engine without a VPN or proxy for sensitive information.

When they first began the results were spotty at times, but it is much improved. On the rare occasions when I don't find what I'm looking for I will check Wolfram if I need something technical and feel like enabling .js, Startpage (which I generally avoid unless necessary because one of the founders is a crazy doomsday xtian cult-type and I don't want to give them any support or traffic) or hit up Big Brother Goog as a very last resort, but only via Tor or VPN *and* proxy.

Here's where DDG shines: !Bangs. This will change your life! I'm only slightly kidding. Here is a list of all of them (at a no-js HTML site for your browsing safety, even!) Bookmark it:

!Bangs just work on the fly. No cloud syncing or Google's ubiquitous tracking, no fuss.

DuckDuckGo has apps and widgets and extensions: I don't use them. I don't see the point, and for as much as I love DDG, I run a tight and spare ship as far as which apps I will allow on my mobile devices. I set it as my default search engine and go.