[cryptome] Re: Droning Along

  • From: coderman <coderman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 15:39:48 -0800

On 2/12/15, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Do you know how many terrorist attacks there has been since Charlie
> Hebdo?  All those illegal terrorist attacks on our society have been
> well publicised in the media, repeated in graphic detail. Police and the
> military turning up in armed response units to arrest and capture
> alleged and personal terrorists, 19 year old nutters and so on.  Very
> important news of course...and, I am sure, helps us all to feel more
> safe, especally at election time, when our political leaders feel more
> vulnerable...
>
> And yet...how many drone attacks have been carried out by various
> democratic nation states?  How much property has been damaged, how many
> people have died, or been maimed in these attacks since Charlie Hebdo?
> How many terrorists have been killed, why haven't they been named? Why
> hasn't it all been publicised, to show that our nation states are after
> all, carrying out their duty, conducting legal attacks against those
> very terrorist organisations which organised the illegal attacks on our
> socieities.

probably because it is hard to spin "collateral death of 13yr old by
inferno" is hard to spin sufficiently toward justice:

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/02/10/u-s-media-13-year-old-yemeni-boy-killed-u-s-drone/

"That NYT article did cite what it called “a member of Al Qaeda in the
Arabian Peninsula” (AQAP), who provided the names of the three
victims, one of whom was “Mohammed Toiman al-Jahmi, a Yemeni teenager
whose father and brother were previously killed in American drone
strikes.” The article added that “the Qaeda member did not know Mr.
Jahmi’s age but said he was a member of the terrorist group.”

In fact, as the Guardian reported today, “Mr. Jahmi’s age” was 13 on
the day the American drone ended his life. Just months earlier, the
Yemeni teenager told that paper that “he lived in constant fear of the
‘death machines’ in the sky that had already killed his father and
brother.” It was 2011 when “an unmanned combat drone killed his father
and teenage brother as they were out herding the family’s camels.” In
the strike two weeks ago, Mohammed was killed along with his
brother-in-law and a third man."