[cryptome] Re: Do you suppose comments like this will get me on a government watchlist?

  • From: Gary Wallin <garylwallin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 09:59:04 -0500

I called for debate, not destruction. I don't know that this flag is state property, but will concede that it probably is. The flag is being imposed by State laws that require it to be displayed. It is not there by the free choice of any individual citizen. It is a tyrannical government ordered display. In fact, since the government of South Carolina insists on displaying this symbol of hate and racism, they are the one's who should be put on watch lists.

On 6/22/2015 9:37 AM, Andrew Hornback wrote:

Calling for the destruction of state property may get you on a watch list.

Calling for a riot (or what could be misconstrued as a riot) may get you on a watch list.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but how is the State of South Carolina imposing a flag on anyone?

--- A

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Gary Wallin <garylwallin@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:garylwallin@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

A Call for Debate: Should the South Carolina Confederate flag be

I'm basically a freedom loving person, especially when it comes to
freedom of thought and freedom of expression. I don't have a
problem with an individual thoughts and expressions. But I get
upset when their actions are harmful.

As far as I'm concerned, if someone wants to fly a Confederate
Flag, a Nazi Flag, or even the modern American Imperial Flag (I
personally prefer the old Betsy Ross flag of 1776 when this county
was fighting against imperialism and not actively practicing it),
that’s fine with me. The kinds of flags people choose to fly gives
my semi-autistic neurons a heads-up on what potential values and
interactions I might have with them.

But I do have a problem when States and Government impose flags on
me. I think I should be able to choose the flag that represents my
values. I can understand why many people in South Carolina would
object to a flag that stands not only for heritage, but often for
hate and racism. There are many people in South Carolina who
choose not to personally fly this flag. But the State imposes it
on them. If Governor Haley wants to fly her own personal
Confederate Flag, that’s fine with me. But when she imposes it as
representing the consensus of the people of her State, she has
gone to far.

Fortunately, there is something that can be done about this
problem. The flag can be hacked.

As makers and hackers know, it is possible to take out flags with
simple tools. We all have access to modified drones, high power
lasers, and other equipment that could fix this flag. People of
good will could simply take out this ugly symbol with a bit of
skilled making and hacking. No human being needs to be harmed or
injured during the process. The question is, should we? Maybe
reason will prevail, and it will come down by government decision
making. Maybe not?