[cryptome] Re: Do you suppose comments like this will get me on a government watchlist?

  • From: Andrew Hornback <achornback@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 10:37:08 -0400

Calling for the destruction of state property may get you on a watch list.

Calling for a riot (or what could be misconstrued as a riot) may get you on
a watch list.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but how is the State of South Carolina
imposing a flag on anyone?

--- A

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Gary Wallin <garylwallin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A Call for Debate: Should the South Carolina Confederate flag be hacked?

I'm basically a freedom loving person, especially when it comes to
freedom of thought and freedom of expression. I don't have a problem with
an individual thoughts and expressions. But I get upset when their actions
are harmful.

As far as I'm concerned, if someone wants to fly a Confederate Flag, a
Nazi Flag, or even the modern American Imperial Flag (I personally prefer
the old Betsy Ross flag of 1776 when this county was fighting against
imperialism and not actively practicing it), that’s fine with me. The kinds
of flags people choose to fly gives my semi-autistic neurons a heads-up on
what potential values and interactions I might have with them.

But I do have a problem when States and Government impose flags on me. I
think I should be able to choose the flag that represents my values. I can
understand why many people in South Carolina would object to a flag that
stands not only for heritage, but often for hate and racism. There are many
people in South Carolina who choose not to personally fly this flag. But
the State imposes it on them. If Governor Haley wants to fly her own
personal Confederate Flag, that’s fine with me. But when she imposes it as
representing the consensus of the people of her State, she has gone to far.

Fortunately, there is something that can be done about this problem. The
flag can be hacked.

As makers and hackers know, it is possible to take out flags with simple
tools. We all have access to modified drones, high power lasers, and other
equipment that could fix this flag. People of good will could simply take
out this ugly symbol with a bit of skilled making and hacking. No human
being needs to be harmed or injured during the process. The question is,
should we? Maybe reason will prevail, and it will come down by government
decision making. Maybe not?