[cryptome] Re: Disclosure of donor names: question

  • From: Ryan Carboni <ryacko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 11:35:03 -0800

Then make the check payable to John Young, not Cryptome.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 7:45 PM, Shelley <shelley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Greetings, Cryptomelings.

I saw a post earlier about non-profit status and it made me wonder: if I
donate for the archives, will my info remain protected? I've been thinking
about doing that so I have an "official" copy to seed.

Until I looked into it, I didn't even know there were different reporting
requirements for 501(c)3 orgs. Never thought about it before.

According to these,

http://web.archive.org/web/20151027202128/http://cryptome.org/donations-tax-exempt.jpg

https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/pub78Search.do?ein1=&names=Cryptome&city=&state=NY&country=US&deductibility=all&dispatchMethod=searchCharities&submitName=Search

Cryptome has to file a 990-PF. It seems that form requires disclosure of
names? At least that's what I think

https://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Public-Disclosure-and-Availability-of-Exempt-Organizations-Returns-and-Applications:-Requirements-for-Private-Foundations
says.

I'm not all that concerned for myself, but people from all over the world
request these archives. They may have very valid reasons for not wanting
their names to be disclosed.

John? Can you please clarify and advise?

Thanks,
-Shelley