[cryptome] Re: De-Classification DNI FBI FISA Hops NSA 215 702 etc. / gov party line

  • From: "Al Mac Wow" <macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 13:18:27 -0500

The latest declassification stuff.

*        Cover
<http://www.dni.gov/files/documents/2009_CoverLetter_Report_Collection.pdf>
Letter and 2009 Report on the National Security Agency’s Bulk Collection
Program for USA PATRIOT Act Reauthorization[1]

*        Cover
<http://www.dni.gov/files/documents/2011_CoverLetters_Report_Collection.pdf>
Letters and 2011 Report on the National Security Agency’s Bulk Collection
Program for USA PATRIOT Act Reauthorization[2]

*        Primary
<http://www.dni.gov/files/documents/PrimaryOrder_Collection_215.pdf>  Order
for Business Records Collection Under Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT Act[3]

Placing the latest declassification stuff into perspective.

Cyber Intelligence etc. for the purpose of protecting US homeland and her
allies, from terrorist plots (and activities defined by the government as
terrorist, which some people think is an over-reach mission creep), there is
a multi-step process to balance security with constitutional liberties:

1.      NSA is authorized by FISC to collect metadata from the telephone
companies, using gag orders prohibiting the phone companies from divulging
what they were ordered to provide, like the Verizon one which got leaked
thanks to Ed Snowden.  These orders are renewed every 90 days (4 a year),
and have been re-approved 34 times (34 divided by 4 = 8 ½ years) by 14
judges, in the 11 years the US has been doing this. (The math does not
compute exactly, so we probably are not yet getting the whole story.) This
just authorizes the government to collect the data, does not authorize any
access of it.  It is generally believed by the public, although not
definitively confirmed by government statements, that this includes all
phone calls by all persons inside the USA.
2.      A second court order by FISC, including one of the above newly
declassified documents, authorizes a set of NSA internal procedures for how
this data is to be accessed.  Basically, in summary, NSA has ANOTHER data
collection program, under 702, which captures Internet traffic of foreign
persons, among whom there is reason to suspect they may be engaged in
terrorist plots against the USA and/or her allies.  When one of those 702
intercepts (e.g. e-mail) shows that a foreign suspect has been in contact
with a person in the USA, then that contact info is used to trigger queries
against the 215 phone meta data base in up to 3 hops, to locate suspected
confederates of the US contact person.  NSA supplies to the FBI what they
have figured out.
3.      The FBI goes to FISC to get court orders to investigate these
people, which NSA has linked to the foreign terrorism suspect.  As far as I
know, none of these authorizations to the FBI have been declassified.
4.      Selected committees of Congress,[4] sometimes their staff, sometimes
only the leaders of those committees, are briefed regularly, in a classified
setting, with gag orders against those politicians and their staff, what’s
going on with FISC and the rest of the alphabet soup of secret government
agencies activities.  A sample of that briefing process is within the above
declassification papers.

Al Mac = Alister William Macintyre

  _____

  _____

  _____

[1] 2013 July 31, I downloaded my personal reference copy of this 4 Meg PDF,
naming it

DNI 2009 report on 215 NSA 2013 July (date on end being when it got
declassified).

Then I went into properties to make my access less hassle.

[2] 2013 July 31, I downloaded my personal reference copy of this 4.9 Meg
PDF, naming it

DNI 2011 report on 215 NSA 2013 July (date on end being when it got
declassified).

Then I went into properties to make my access less hassle.

[3] 2013 July 31, I downloaded my personal reference copy of this 6.8 Meg
PDF, naming it

FISC system for 215 via NSA and FBI 2013 July (date on end being when it got
declassified).

Then I went into properties to make my access less hassle.

[4] Depending on the subject matter, these committees can include:
Intelligence; Armed Services; Judiciary; Appropriations.