[cryptome] De-Classification DNI FBI FISA Hops NSA 215 702 etc. / big picture

  • From: "Al Mac Wow" <macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 12:40:05 -0500

There have been some significant declassifications July-31, and in recent
days.

Y"all may have heard about some of this from other sources.  Here is what I
figured out today.

Since this is a bit involved, I plan to make several posts, focusing on
different dimensions of the big picture.

Moments before a 2013 July 31 Senate Judiciary Committee
<http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/> [1] Hearing on Foreign Intelligence
Surveillance Act (FISA) Surveillance Programs,[2] the Office of the Director
of National Intelligence (ODNI) released several newly declassified reports,
relevant to 215 telephone metadata collection, which we may need to put into
perspective.[3]

*        Cover
<http://www.dni.gov/files/documents/2009_CoverLetter_Report_Collection.pdf>
Letter and 2009 Report on the National Security Agency's Bulk Collection
Program for USA PATRIOT Act Reauthorization[4]

*        Cover
<http://www.dni.gov/files/documents/2011_CoverLetters_Report_Collection.pdf>
Letters and 2011 Report on the National Security Agency's Bulk Collection
Program for USA PATRIOT Act Reauthorization[5]

*        Primary
<http://www.dni.gov/files/documents/PrimaryOrder_Collection_215.pdf>  Order
for Business Records Collection Under Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT Act[6]

So far, I have only glanced at this stuff.  I notice heavy redacting.  I
assume the politicians got to see the whole story, but due to the gag
orders, we do not know that for sure yet.  As usual, government documents
have a high density of acronyms in need of translation to help make the
content more friendly to ordinary people.

Al Mac = Alister William Macintyre

  _____

[1] http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/

[2]
http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/hearings/hearing.cfm?id=0d93f03188977d0d4106
5d3fa041decd

[3]
http://www.dni.gov/index.php/newsroom/press-releases/191-press-releases-2013
/908-dni-clapper-declassifies-and-releases-telephone-metadata-collection-doc
uments

[4] 2013 July 31, I downloaded my personal reference copy of this 4 Meg PDF,
naming it

DNI 2009 report on 215 NSA 2013 July (date on end being when it got
declassified).

Then I went into properties to make my access less hassle.

[5] 2013 July 31, I downloaded my personal reference copy of this 4.9 Meg
PDF, naming it

DNI 2011 report on 215 NSA 2013 July (date on end being when it got
declassified).

Then I went into properties to make my access less hassle.

[6] 2013 July 31, I downloaded my personal reference copy of this 6.8 Meg
PDF, naming it

FISC system for 215 via NSA and FBI 2013 July (date on end being when it got