[cryptome] Craigslist vs. d3taps

  • From: "Al Mac Wow" <macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 13:34:20 -0500

The court ruled that when info on a website is open to the public, then
public access is "authorized" and not criminal, under the Computer
<http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1030>  Fraud and Abuse Act
(CFAA).  This may provide grounds for appeal by people prosecuted for
"unauthorized" use of that info.  However, this ruling only applies in the
US district involved, not the entire USA.

Terms of Service, for access, often includes some copyright restrictions
over how the info is to be used, so I imagine there will be more court
rulings on this topic.

A troubling ruling of the court is that hiding our online identity can be

Al Mac = Alister William Macintyre