[cryptome] Re: Comsec as Public Utility Beyond Illusory Privacy

  • From: "Gary L. Wallin" <garylwallin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 08:15:09 -0500

On 3/17/2014 7:06 AM, John Young wrote:
snake oilish
assurances

I like the phrase "snake oilish assurances". Many of the proposed remedies sound like the cyber equivalent of quack medicine,
or homeopathic practices.

I still believe the panopticon will prevail, both for better and for worse. Privacy is no longer absolute. We can get practical levels of privacy with some of the best practices and cryptography, but privacy
as a Utopian certainty is no longer possible.

The future will belong to those who can best navigate the Dystopian waters of cyber communications. In the short run, the sharks will make billions off their snake oil sales; but in the long run, civil society is changing
to something more transparent.

Since we pay for the work product of the NSA and CIA, I think the information they gather should be available to all - not just the Governments and Corporations that gather the data. If the public is privy to what really is going on, then our democracy will function better. The real danger is that the people will not be able to use the fruits of the Panopticon to their personal advantage. Let's let everybody
take a bite out of the fruits on the tree of knowledge.