[cryptome] Clandestine british base

  • From: "Joe Products" <Joe_Products@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 19:33:26 +0200 (CEST)

Exclusive Above-top-secret details of Britain’s covert surveillance 
programme - including the location of a clandestine British base tapping 
undersea cables in the Middle East - have so far remained secret, despite 
being leaked by fugitive NSA sysadmin Edward Snowden. Government pressure 
has meant that some media organisations, despite being in possession of 
these facts, have declined to reveal them. Today, however, the Register 
publishes them in full.

The secret British spy base is part of a programme codenamed “CIRCUIT” and 
also referred to as Overseas Processing Centre 1 (OPC-1). It is located at 
Seeb, on the northern coast of Oman, where it taps in to various undersea 
cables passing through the Strait of Hormuz into the Persian/Arabian Gulf. 
Seeb is one of a three site GCHQ network in Oman, at locations codenamed “
TIMPANI”, “GUITAR” and “CLARINET”. TIMPANI, near the Strait of Hormuz, can 
monitor Iraqi communications. CLARINET, in the south of Oman, is 
strategically close to Yemen.



                                      

                                      



British national telco BT, referred to within GCHQ and the American NSA 
under the ultra-classified codename “REMEDY”, and Vodafone Cable (which owns
the former Cable & Wireless company, aka “GERONTIC”) are the two top earners
of secret GCHQ payments running into tens of millions of pounds annually.

---------- Původní zpráva ----------
Od: tpb-crypto@xxxxxxxxxxx
Komu: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Datum: 3. 6. 2014 18:51:48
Předmět: [cryptome] Re: TrueCrypt compromised

"> Message du 03/06/14 10:51
> De : "Shaun O'Connor" 
>
> I take your point about the encryption dilemma(did I spell that
> correctly). I think the Jury is out on that particular issue though...
> 
> Personally I think we are in a perpetual game of cat and mouse with
> those who make it their business to know everything about everyone..
> 

The rewards for the spies are too great for this game to end one day.

The game will continue, but because of these disclosures by half-2015, the 
spies will have to start all over again, at least against people who are 
aware and actively protect their systems. Because those that got legacy 
systems will be forever under the treat.

Considering our increasing life expectancy and the fact that we are using 
Cobol and Fortran codes made 40 years ago in many financial and scientific 
institutions, we can count many exploits discovered in the last decade to be
still exploitable in 100 years. Because those systems won't go away.

An example of why this is possible, is how many webservers (not merely 
firmware routers hard to re-flash) you will find that are still vulnerable 
to heartbleed. The rate of correction seems to be asymptotic, thus always 
leaving some uncorrected systems till the end of their usable lives.

Put that in an automated system like spy agencies have, and you have 
interesting data streams forever to exploit. The only solution to stop them 
is to uncover their taps and block them, those are much smaller in number 
and easier to tackle than millions of machines."

Other related posts: