[cryptome] Re: Cell Phone Investigations: Your GPS Location via Android

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 15:56:26 +0000

Hi Shelley,
As Blondie used to sing..."One Way...Or Another"...:-).

If you have the time, it is well worth a read. There are some real howlers in it as well...The only operating systems the author knows is Google and Apple. Obviously PC Plod is one of the aspiring muddle classes, ownership of an Apple computer gets you somewhere in today's world. No mention of Microsoft, or Linux or Ubuntu, or Firefox for that matter. Still, it is only a draft. Good at his job though, and appreciates the need for learning, education and passing his knowledge on to his colleagues.
Some interesting stuff on passwords too.
Makes one wonder, as all this stuff comes out into the open whether people will change the way they use the world wide web. I am not talking here about the terrorist or the criminal or the secret service agent, but just ordinary, ole Joe Bloggs. Will folks become more careful in what they say and do on the web, or just carry on as usual, painlessly and blissfully unaware of all those organisations and corporations hogging their private data and usage to create the most wonderfully detailed profiles, which can be used for all sorts of reasons, from marketing to blackmail.

On 09/11/2015 15:29, Shelley wrote:

On November 9, 2015 7:15:46 AM Redmond <darkredptc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Appears my account has it disabled. While it's no guarantee that Google
still isn't tracking me its nice to know it will take more than the two
clicks to track me.

I don't have any google accounts. All my android devices are rooted and gutted of all google apps/ google anything. No play store, no google services framework or partner setup or backup. Not even maps (I use an open source 3rd party app with restricted permissions.)

This is no guarantee that I'm not being tracked in aggregate despite my best efforts, but I'm not going to make it easy for them.