[cryptome] Re: Car Hacking

  • From: Jean Kang <jeankkang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:57:44 +0200

Hacker dies days before he was to reveal how to remotely kill pacemaker
patients <http://rt.com/usa/hacker-pacemaker-barnaby-jack-639/>

On 28 July 2013 16:37, Al Mac Wow <macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here are some links to lots of details state-of-art of car hacking, or
cyber attack on vehicles, causing drivers to lose control of vital
functions essential for safe operations.  This is not science fiction
anymore.

> There are legitimate ways to remotely take over a car’s controls.  Some
of those ways can be hacked.  OnStar has Stolen Vehicle Slowdown technology
allowing for remote control of vehicles, such as to stop a high-speed car
chase [video]. A disgruntled laid-off hacker in Austin, Texas, remotely
hacked more than 100 vehicles, bricking or disabling some cars and causing
others to have “horns honking out of control.”

> A few years ago, there was a fear that the sudden acceleration problem of
some vehicles, might have been caused by malware getting thru the car’s
electronic communication systems into the control systems. Government and
Automotive powers that be basically said “this risk is highly unlikely, we
refuse to investigate that theory”, according to what I heard them saying,
at Congressional Hearings on the topic, which I watched on C-Span.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/when-car-hacking-turns-your-vehicle-video-game

> http://www.ted.com/talks/avi_rubin_all_your_devices_can_be_hacked.html
>
> We will need to get a firewall for our personal car, like we have for our
personal computer, and personal communications.  What else do we need a
firewall for?

http://m.blogs.computerworld.com/cybercrime-and-hacking/22398/car-hacking-car-cyberattack-possible-theory-behind-journalists-death

> http://www.salon.com/2013/06/25/hacking_a_car_is_way_too_easy/
>
> Journalist assassinated by unidentified enemy hacking his car, causing it
to crash.  This is an unproven conspiracy theory.  A cyber attack on a car
is almost impossible to back trace to the culprits, and in this case the
car is too badly damaged to know if there even was a cyber attack.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/20/autos-hackers-idUSnL2E8JJ3320120820

> A group of academics described ways to infect cars using Bluetooth
systems and wireless networks in 2011. But the academics kept details of
their work a closely guarded secret, refusing even to identify the make of
the car they hacked.

http://thehackernews.com/2013/07/Hacking-car-remote-control-vulnerabilities.html

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/26/the-terrifying-5-minute-video-showing-how-its-possible-to-hack-a-car-and-make-it-do-some-freaky-things/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/28/net-us-hackers-cars-idUSBRE96R06120130728

> https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-21/dc-21-speakers.html#Miller
>
> More info is coming out.
>

> http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-07/28/car-hacking
>
> Details banned in Britain, on how to hack high end vehicles.
>

> http://i-hls.com/2013/07/can-cars-be-hacked/
>
> http://digimag.govexec.com/article/Car+Hacking/1296337/144196/article.html
>
> Here are additional examples of car hacking risks or fears, which I had
not previously known about.  There also have been several TV fiction
episodes involving cars being hacked, and conference seminars identifying
specific vulnerabilities.