[cryptome] Re: Buying a A New Laptop? - coreboot

  • From: Andrew Hornback <achornback@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 09:36:24 -0400

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 7:36 AM, Douglas Rankine <
douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Coderman & Colleagues,
> Tx for your advice...and all those new avenues for exploration which you
> have opened for me... :-).
>
> The librem 15 looks interesting... :-).  Cheers... :-).  It would be nice
> to get a new "empty laptop" and install linux software of my choosing.  I
> will explore it further. As you know, I am not a "techie"  It took me a
> long time to learn how to use Ubuntu...still learning as a matter of fact.
> I am not into gaming...don't have the interest, but watch a lot films and
> listen to podcasts, and of course surfing the web and emails.

Is it really empty or are you just being lulled into the idea that it's
empty and therefore it's as safe as you make it?

Why not buy a system without a hard drive and then buy your own to install
in there?  Surely, there's security in sourcing components from multiple
vendors...

I quite like Ubuntu and of course Thunderbird and Firefox and I like VLC.
> The only problem with Linux, I have found so far, is that I have never come
> across a bit of software with which I can use to upload and download the
> songs on my Ipod satisfactorily.  It is one of the reasons I have kept
> Windows OS so that I can use Apples' Itunes...

http://www.wikihow.com/Manage-an-iPod-in-Linux  I've used Floola in the
past when my environment was infested with Apple devices.  It worked for my
needs - have you tried it?

> I shall have to look up all those terms like "trisquel" and "BSD" and
> Qubes...as I don't know what they mean.

The BSD operating systems have forked from the Berkeley Software
Distribution (I believe that's the breakdown of that acronym).  One of the
original building blocks of Yahoo...

I see that the laptop doesn't come out until April 1915 and that it is some
> kind of crowdsourcing financing. I shall have to be very careful there. I
> wouldn't want to lose me money by making a poor investment... :-).
> One learns sumfink new every day... :-).

One thing that I'd recommend before plonking down cash on a device of any
kind - investigate how well documented the hardware is.  If the only
documentation that exists is a Quick Start poster.... what does that say?

--- A