[cryptome] Re: Buying a A New Laptop? - coreboot

  • From: "Douglas Rankine" <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 11:36:43 -0000

Hi Coderman & Colleagues,
Tx for your advice...and all those new avenues for exploration which you have
opened for me... :-).

The librem 15 looks interesting... :-).  Cheers... :-).  It would be nice to
get a new "empty laptop" and install linux software of my choosing.  I will
explore it further. As you know, I am not a "techie"  It took me a long time to
learn how to use Ubuntu...still learning as a matter of fact.  I am not into
gaming...don't have the interest, but watch a lot films and listen to podcasts,
and of course surfing the web and emails.

I quite like Ubuntu and of course Thunderbird and Firefox and I like VLC. The
only problem with Linux, I have found so far, is that I have never come across
a bit of software with which I can use to upload and download the songs on my
Ipod satisfactorily.  It is one of the reasons I have kept Windows OS so that I
can use Apples' Itunes...

I shall have to look up all those terms like "trisquel" and "BSD" and
Qubes...as I don't know what they mean.

I see that the laptop doesn't come out until April 1915 and that it is some
kind of crowdsourcing financing. I shall have to be very careful there. I
wouldn't want to lose me money by making a poor investment... :-).
One learns sumfink new every day... :-).
ATB
Dougie